Another Colson Build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Comin' along...
I don't recall seeing those wheels finished before. They look great. As I recall those are the original rims drilled out and re spoked with thicker ones. Nice drum brake up front. It's going to be a sweet bike.
SB

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Baird - I love all the work you are putting up for us to see. I have a 54 Roadmaster I am saving for the perfect build. I would love to find an affordable Whizzer kit to install, LOL like that will happen. OH well thanks for all the neat info. Have fun, Dave

PS: Just got hold of an early Worksman also, You are close, out in the O C. Have to see if we can find something to get us together. Did you make it out to the Eldorado Park event last year?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
nope. missed that ride. i don't think i was even into motored bikes then.

i'm going to the LA beach ride the third, i think. hoping this bike will be done. i have a lot of work to do on it this week, but i think it's do-able.

gonna finish up the custom tank today, maybe get some painting done, and i'm just waiting on a coupla more parts.

i'll post some pics as soon as i can.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
are you an American picker ? awesome
YouTube - american pickers look at the bike in the picture at utube check em out. these guys know how to live, next thing you know they will find an motor bike that runs off moon shine built by only god knows who , maybe called the mr.string bean

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
there's no old barns where i live. the people here are too rich. Newport Beach types buy bikes already restored so they can hang them in their restaurants or gamerooms. or else they don't own anything older than a year. i find most of these bikes on Ebay from midwesterners.

i saw an episode of Pickers where they did find an old motored bike. the guy wouldn't sell it, though.

that show kinda bugs me. in a way, it's cool that they go around finding stuff, but when i see them make a good score from some old farmer, then turn around and triple their money, it kinda seems like they're rubbing it in the poor old guy's face.

and they use the term "mantiques."

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
there's no old barns where i live. the people here are too rich. Newport Beach types buy bikes already restored so they can hang them in their restaurants or gamerooms. or else they don't own anything older than a year. i find most of these bikes on Ebay from midwesterners.

i saw an episode of Pickers where they did find an old motored bike. the guy wouldn't sell it, though.

that show kinda bugs me. in a way, it's cool that they go around finding stuff, but when i see them make a good score from some old farmer, then turn around and triple their money, it kinda seems like they're rubbing it in the poor old guy's face.

and they use the term "mantiques."
I know what you mean , I always think I have done a lot when I make $50.00 off of anything , and have went in the hole a lot of times investing into pure junk lol. but sometimes the old guys know what’s going on and beat these guys at their own game . The economy is bad and some don’t worry about it too. And you know something, I just thought about the mantiques logo they use. My dream for bicycles is an big ole mountain of old frames and stuff behind an old mining shack or claim staked land

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
got my tank done, 'cept for paint. it's sitting ouside getting "Kreemed" right now.

i ripped apart a stock kit tank and pried the bung out of it and silver-soldered it in. i wanna find a different gas cap, but it'll work for now. it holds 2.3 liters, which is almost the same as the kit peanut. i was worried i wouldn't be able to make a big enough tank, but i worked it out.

it's kinda tough trying to think in 3-D while cutting out the mock-up out of poster board, but it worked.

sorry i don't have pictures of the process, but it goes like this: make the shape out of posterboard, trace it to 16g copper sheet, cut it out with tin snips, smooth the edges and solder it.

it also helps to kick your roomates out of the backyard so they're not buggin' you. the cat's a different story. he wants to help.

now the other parts are in various stages of paint, drying outside whilst i type this.

should have the bike re-assembled tomorrow, then i gotta make some custom motor mounts, and a load of other crap.

hopefully, i'll be riding it this weekend...

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I really do like the looks of those copper tanks baird - defo a functional & unique flair that'd only get better and better with some age & use! Do you have pics of the other one now that it's been around awhile?

Lookin' forward to seein' this bike & I defo agree on yer assessment of cats & housemates lol ;)

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
sold the other one (finally, but made a good profit) so i dunno how it looks now. hopefully it ain't leaking.

i wanna paint this one since the copper won't match the rest of the bike, but i've found out that painting copper is pretty tough. i'm gonna try some of that metal-etching primer tomorrow.

copper sheet and solder is really easy to work with, just takes a little practice. the reason i mentioned my roomates and the cat is because i started making a tank, but then i got involved with drinking and bbq'ing, and wrecked it, so i had to sober up and concentrate to make this one.

i got the base color painted on the bike today (wait, it's almost 2am, so uh, yesterday..) so tomorrow i'm gonna do the "darts" and striping.

this bike should have an awesome restored/vintage look to it.

it's also gonna be for sale (hint hint...)

(edit) thanks norm, and simon, i'll keep an eye out for a frame...

mrfoochie

May 25, 2010
new orleans
how about a 'distressed' creamy buttery colored frame to go with all that burgundy? maybe some white tires? she's gorgeous with the bizzaro scheme she's wearing...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
it's black, burgandy accents, and "aged" white pinstriping. the bike's more or less done, but i've been rushing to get it together for tomorrow's venice beach ride and i've been taking too many shortcuts. so after a few snags today, i figured, screw it. i'll ride my old bike through venice, take a break from my new one, and get back to it when i'm ready again.

i've been spending to much time working on the friggen thing and ignoring my other bike, so now it's time for some riding...

oh, and i ripped off the color scheme from this old Colson "steer from the rear" tandem:

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I love that paint scheme, defo classy (^)

...but I gotta say that "steer from the rear" kinda hurts my brain :p All I can think of is the ageless battle between husband and wife about directions, shortcuts and the best way to not get somewhere on time laff

It'd be disastrous for the linkages, if not the marriage heh ;)