Bogging at low speed

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
My Dax 70cc.has recently developed a some serious bogging on the low end(full throttle).Its running like a champ once I get over the hump + 30mph easy 41 tooth.Can't find a noticeable leak when searching with an unlit propane torch.Compression just under 120psi.
Since I,m constantly messing with the carb I may have inadvertently altered something.Needle clip position seem to have little effect.Plug looks as usual,maybe more gray than tan but not too light
Would this more likely be caused by a rich or lean condition.I'm beginning to suspect the float position.When running warm pulling choke has little effect on the bogging condition.Full choke kills it.Any clues? Thanks,Ron
Update: I noticed today when on a steep hill and engine lugging badly,just about to die,that when I let of the throttle slightly the engine actually gained power.Ron

Last edited:

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
I Had A Similar Problem. I Went Over Everything And Even Had A Friend Who Went To School For Small Engine Repair. We Sealed A Air Leak By The Intake Manifold, But Only Helped A Little. I Ended Up Going Over My Carb And Tried Tuning It Up... And Like I Like I Had A Magic Wand... It Worked. It Took A While And Some Beers Helped.
Hope This Helps

Last edited:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Hey Death,Good advice.I drank 6 tall boys and it seems to be running alot
better lol.Actually the mixture was just a little rich as I suspected.I didn't want to lean it out to much as I'm breaking in a new set of rings.Running good now.The only thing that bugs me is at cruising speed it want to fluctuate between 2 stroking and 4 stroking which makes it have a surging action.I'll worry about that when I get up to a 30/1 oil mix.Thanks,Ron

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
Beer Is Good With Problems,it Lets You Think About Your Problems More(for Some). I Myself Wouldn't Run 30 / 1, It Run Too Hot In The Summer For Me When I Used 32/1. You Could Use Synthetic Maybe . Ride It Slow...to Break It In. It Takes Longer But You Will Get More Out Of It In The End...
I Ran The Cheapest 2 Cycle Oil I Could Find For The First At Least 400 Or 500 Miles .then Went To Half Synthetic For The Last Around 2 Or 3 Thousand Miles And... Just Now Went To Full Synthetic. I Should Buy Another One Just In Case This One Goes, I Hate The Down Time. Winter Is Enough...