GT 80cc back up and running

GoldenMotor.com

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Been down a while now, but the new engine came in from Dax yesterday and I got it back together.

I couldnt keep the SBP air filter though because of clearance issues. The Dax jug is a slightly different casting and the carb sitts a 1/4 inch closer to the frame now causing the filter the stick to far out. Concerned about the stock air filter not flowing as well as the SBP filter I opted to enlarge the filter box tubes with a dremel (Use caution if you try this, plastic will melt if it gets to hot). During the test ride in the 20* weather last night all i could hear was the air filter roar.

I also worked on the carb a little where the chole plate sits. I removed the lip that sits just inside the entry. This I have learned will reduce restriction, while it may reduce velocity a little the over all air flow will compensate for. The intake and exhaust have been port matched as close as possible.

continued next post...

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Spark is supplied by the kit CDI, a 8mm MSD coil wire and a NGK spark plug with the electrode filed. Its gapped at .030 for break in a then ill use the new one I have gapped to .019-.022.

The Trek in the garage is really no more but a frame and a few parts. I even took the crankset off of it because the pedal arms rubbed the engine before, now thats not a problem at all. They are also lighter parts and the bigger ring has more teeth than my old one(38>42). Notice the Dax bearing tensioner behind the spokes and Andy's 36T sprocket.

continued next post....

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Nuts and bolts were upgraded using a SBP bolt kit. The carb bolts were replaced with two metric hex bolts I fould at a Northern Tool. They were a .69 upgrade that allowed me to tighten the carb bowl tite enough that I stopped leaking. The kit supplied screws I could never get a good bit on to tighten them enough, plus they look cheap.

The GT frame is a 1991 model and sourcing parts for it is gonna be a pain, but its a great frame and really sturdy.

The Jug on the new engine is a really rough looking casting, the older one was much smoother with less imperfections. The intake and carb sits closer to the upright under the seat which isnt a plus. The magneto cover didnt have a gasket so I used the one from my old engine. The new intake had rough edges on the inside of it. The intake gasket itself was a better quality than the normal green stuff. The clutch actuator from the Dax kit is designed differently and harder to pull than my older one so I used the old one. Its different where its cut and rotates over the pin on the cog.

Goes to show how things can look so much alike but be so different. In all im happy with the Dax kit so far.....