"" What ever happened to "" forum maybe??

GoldenMotor.com

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
There have been many many many great members who just seem to disappear off the site here.

Perhaps a sub forum for "what ever happened to" where we might find out if they go by another user name or such?

I know between this site and the other site, I can easily name 20 "legendary" members who have vanished.

Any thoughts??

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Know what ya mean SR. I tried a sort of buddy system thread way back. If some one went MIA, we could ask their buddy who lived close by or call. Wasn't much interest though and it fell by the way side.

Could just start a thread in the tavern section?

But you certainly have my support and help if you need it. I used to email the missing but was upsetting at times.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup.

If you ask, you might not like the answer.

People do what they want to do. It's as simple as that.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I see those old-timer's name often when someone bumps and old thread and wonder the same thing. "Where are they now". Why don't they post here anymore? Are they okay"? Are they still involved with the hobby? Or................:(

I know of one that went on to motorcycles and gave up bicycles. I know two that have passed away. There is one old regular that moved to another forum and hasn't been seen here in several years. Another, a moderator in fact just disappeared, with the original Happy, I might add.

But there are those who just stopped being active for whatever reason. I've seen the same dynamic before in the hot rod community. People just change, evolve or simply get bored with an activity and move on to other interests.
Whatever.

Tom

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
It seems a shame that forum members with the most knowledge and experience disappear.

As with any hobby, once the novelty wears off it gets replaced with something new and different that seems more gratifying in some way or another.
Humans don't have a very long interest span.

It would be interesting to find out" what ever happened to" the great talents
that have come and gone here.

I've tried to PM a couple guys that have gone, knowing that they get an inbox message on their e- mail address. No responses.

Good idea....tough to execute

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My worry is that they have passed on, in a hospital or some how messed up and we have no way to reach out to them.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I think most of it is that people's lives change and dropping by and posting becomes less and less, and settles on merely lurking until they're gone. The internet is a funny place if you think about it. To me, it seems that it cycles around a few years and the posters or members change their habits. I've seen this on numerous sites, but who knows the cause behind it. People come and people go.

What's worse is how many people put in their wills something like, "When I'm dead, go to this website and .........."? You'd think that now with how much computers and the internet has taken over our society, it would be common place to do this, but it doesn't.

I wonder if a call was to go out to all members who do the Will thing, to put something like this in, just for our benefit in knowing if that would help at least know if they have died or not.

The only other alternative is for you moderators to send out a "Call letter" or some such thing to see if you get any feed back, because when it comes to people......well, people can be funny, ya know.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My take on the subject? Respect other's right to privacy and let them be. I am just saying that if I chose not to participate here anymore, sure I would understand that people are gonna wonder where I went (or maybe not since I know how certain members feel about me, but whatever lol). But I would not want people sending out a search party. My right to privacy trumps your curiosity, and that's that.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think most of it is that people's lives change and dropping by and posting becomes less and less, and settles on merely lurking until they're gone. The internet is a funny place if you think about it. To me, it seems that it cycles around a few years and the posters or members change their habits. I've seen this on numerous sites, but who knows the cause behind it. People come and people go.

What's worse is how many people put in their wills something like, "When I'm dead, go to this website and .........."? You'd think that now with how much computers and the internet has taken over our society, it would be common place to do this, but it doesn't.

I wonder if a call was to go out to all members who do the Will thing, to put something like this in, just for our benefit in knowing if that would help at least know if they have died or not.

The only other alternative is for you moderators to send out a "Call letter" or some such thing to see if you get any feed back, because when it comes to people......well, people can be funny, ya know.
I did just that a couple of years back Hiker, asked Mrs to post here if I kicked the bucket. Just post a thing saying I had passed and to be sure to say it is she who is posting under my name.

There is also money for the keg for any one close by, snicker.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
There have been many many many great members who just seem to disappear off the site here.

Perhaps a sub forum for "what ever happened to" where we might find out if they go by another user name or such?

I know between this site and the other site, I can easily name 20 "legendary" members who have vanished.

Any thoughts??
Maybe they finished their DUI sentence and got their license back! rotfl