What is a good paint

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am trying to paint my rims and hubs so I can have them laced up but I need a durable paint and I wanted to see what everyone else is using for their builds. I do not have a hplv gun or a compressor at my disposal so it will have to be spray paint but I am unsure of what brand to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
For sheer toughness it's hard to beat the epoxy rattle can paints. A big part of painting them is prep. I'd use 00 steel wool to clean evereything up of any previous coating then electronic parts cleaner in a spray can. Use the part cleaner outdoors and get the un-chlorinated version. The electric part cleaner leaves nothing behind to contaminate the surface. If there is a primer use it. Sand between coats with 0000 steel wool, clean real good to remove stray steel fibers. If there is a clear top coat use it, too, for longer life and sparkle :)

It's best to get products that are from the same line like all Dutch Boy or whatever. Most paint makers will have product ment to be used together. Mixing product lines can cause results that are unexpected, like orange peel, motteling, spots, uncontrollable runs(oooh, a favorite ;) ) and just general bad results.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have to be honest, I've not actually tried this but Duane (thatsdax.com) swears by DupliColor Rim/Wheel paint. I've seen the results and it is impressive. The paint is formulated to be chip resistant unlike many other rattle can paints.

Epoxys are generally more durable than enamels and acrylics.
Just a question: Do you have rim brakes? That can be a consideration when it comes to durability.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have to be honest, I've not actually tried this but Duane (thatsdax.com) swears by DupliColor Rim/Wheel paint. I've seen the results and it is impressive. The paint is formulated to be chip resistant unlike many other rattle can paints.

Epoxys are generally more durable than enamels and acrylics.
Just a question: Do you have rim brakes? That can be a consideration when it comes to durability.
Tom
I've used/been using the Duplicolor Rim paint. I get good results and it seems durable enough. As rattle can paints go, It's gotta be the best I've used.

But DO NOT ignore proper prep and proper application. The surface to be painted must be clean. If you're applying paint onto a previous older paint job, give it a light sanding with the finest grit you have (1500 is actually ideal) and test for paint compatibility. If the surface was originally chrome plated, then sand the ever-lovin' bejeezus out of it! Then make sure you've cleaned all dust and sanding residue off. When you are sure it's clean enough, clean it again. That's just a good habit. Try to avoid any kind of dusty environment. I try to paint out-of-doors in full sunlight on a hot day, if I can.

Then you just follow the instructions: one light coat, wait ten minutes or until you're positive it's dry enough, next light coat, wait ten...and on and on until the color and depth look really good. Don't spray that $h*t too close to the piece. Back off about a foot and a half, don't dwell in one place, and you won't have to worry about runs. Start with primer, be certain the final primer coat looks smooth; follow with your color coats, make sure they look good; repeat this process with a clear coat formulated for rims, and you will have a tough, nice looking paint job (and will have saved a wad of cash).

Last edited: