1920's replica flat track racer

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Haha that's great. Internet fame will soon be mine!!!

CL took the post down for some reason here is the new link.
1920's replica flat track racer

I'm asking 2800 for it do you guys think that is too much? There is a motorbike show and swap meet in my home town this weekend I am going to take the bike to and hopefully sell. If that doesn't work I will be putting it on ebay sometime next week.

ghosteh

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
Everything is selling slow right now, especially hobby stuff. I have a few other interests, and prices are down quite a bit with that stuff too.
But the only way to know what it's worth is what someone will pay for it. I'd never pay more for a built bike than the parts cost to duplicate it, regardless of the labor involved. However, some might just want a "turn-key" deal.

Something like this is very unique and 0ne-of-a-kind. If you find the right person, it will sell immediately. Otherwise, you might have to discount it severely to sell.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Lurker, IMO youre bike is worth a lot more..... my way of thinking is if Derringer cycles ask around $3500 (i think thats right) for a bike built from off the shelf parts then yours must be worth a heck of a lot more.

Youre bike has sooooo many custom parts i have noticed that you havent even really mentioned in the thread..... but like Ghosteh said times are bad, so maybe you wont get top dollar..... but if you dont get around $5000 i will be shocked and someone got an extremely good buy............... theres a lot of time in these bikes.

I cant remember whos bike it was...... but someone from this site or another (cant remember) sold his Indian replica for around $3500 and although it was very nice it wasnt in the same league as yours and just had a chinagirl engine..... i believe he used EBay...... any reason why you arent using EBay?

Im hoping you get top dollar Lurker as i cant wait to see more of your next bike.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was also wondering what you did with your previous tank Lurker? I know you said you werent fond of it.... but i actually kind of preferred it, it was a little different and definitely made your bike stand out IMO, if you still had it and was willing to include it in the sale (if you had no use for it) it may help

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Hey lurker you should have no issues selling that bike. That bike is way under priced for what you have built. Post that add in the Los Angeles CL also..you may find someone on the westcoast that wants it, I can help if needed.

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
5k!! man thats a lot for a motorized bike of any kind especially a kit. Its funny that you mention Derringer, those were the first motorized bikes I saw and I thought to my self "I can do better than that". But I am still not happy with this bike, I guess when it comes down to it the artist is his own worst critic. I look at my bike and I see all the imperfections and things I would have done differently. Which is why I am building another. If I don't get the bike sold this weekend It will defiantly be going on ebay next week. The reason I was trying to avoid ebay is because it is going to be a real pain in the butt to have to ship this thing. It must weigh close to 100lbs.

Harry, that other tank got recycled. I had a personal vendetta with that tank.

Vegan, that bike show I was talking about is in Ohio in a small town outside of Akron called Heartville. I don't imagine that it's going to be a big deal.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
There are always people with money in a Recession. (even though we are "not" in a Recession according to the White House, we are. Don't believe them.) I don't think CL works very well for "quality buyers". People on CL tend to be bargain hunters looking for a deal. EBAY is the place to get results. I think if you ask $2800 you will get it, but I think you should ask $3000.00 or hide the minimum you would take and put it on auction. Use your old time photos, even the one with the board track in the background. Take detail shots. It will draw a lot of interest.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Your bike is well worth your asking price.Like Cobra said you need some good close up pictures to sell.CL people usually are looking for deals to flip on Ebay.Good luck and...Here We Go STEELERS here we GO!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Lurker, you are an awesome bike builder man, but you really suck as a bike salesman lol...... you are being a little too modest about your bike man. Its one of the best bikes on here, yeah sure it has inperfections, whose bike doesnt????

But i agree with CF about putting up some more photos and info, and listing all the work you did. You seem like a modest guy and i aint no expert in Motorized Bikes evaluations but if you really tried selling your bike and hyping it up a little i dont think $5000 is out of the question

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Good luck Lurker, i hope it goes well and you sell it. Some very lucky person will hopefully ride away with it and you will have a pocketful of cash for your next project.

As i said im no expert in sales but im wondering if you should remove the maintenance list you made, just wondering if that list sounds like too much work for some people...... what i mean is: if the makers of Chinagirls were truthful or open about the maintenance to keep a chinagirl on the road, they wouldnt sell as many.... they only seem to point out how many miles per tank you get.

Lurker i really like your bike and if someone out there is looking at buying a MB they would be CRAZY not to consider yours.... once again good luck bro

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It's got a China 2 stroke & not as mechanically sophisticated as yours Lurker.
The guy had obviously spent some time giving it a silent grey fellow paintjob with decals & pinstripes tho.
I have a friend who's into cars who says a car is 'worth as much as it's paintjob', meaning that, if you do some paint & decals it might increase the value. Just my suggestion. It's a way cool bike for sure.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I agree with Brett if you put some branding on the bike with a recognizable paint job you will get some significant results on eBay. Keep pricing high as you might have to crate the bike to ship it.