gas tank location

GoldenMotor.com

lukeo187

Jul 27, 2011
louisiana
i have a Grubee skyhawk 66/80cc engine kit right now. My gas tank is located next to my engine and i think that the petcock size, and length of my fuel hose is restricting fuel flow. I can get it started but engine won't idle and if i disengage the clutch, the engine dies immediately. I've replaced the spark plug but no change. Don't know what to do next??:-||

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
I am not sure what you mean be "located next to my engine", but I assume you have it mounted on the top bar of the bike as most do. So long as the carb is lower than the tank bottom you should be ok. Also, try to keep the fuel line angled smoothly downward.

Have you taken off the petcocks to check them out? Sometimes there is a screen in the tank petcock that can get clogged up.

Have you taken your fuel line off the carb and checked how it flows into a jar? Try that then remove the tank cap and see if it improves. Sometimes the caps don't vent properly.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There's a few things you can do.

One - RUN AN INLINE FILTER and get rid of that intank filter.

Two - adjust your float tang to adjust the fuel level in the bowl.

Three - don't worry about length, that won't have anything to do with it.

Four - consider a new carb if you've got a red air cover on your carb. That's the CNSv2/GenB and it's junk without a lot of work patching air leaks.

lukeo187

Jul 27, 2011
louisiana
when i say next to the motor, it's a girls bike frame so the petcock of the tank is almost parallel with the carb. The fuel line makes a kinda sine wave from the tank to the carb and the original petcock broke off so i had to replace i. The little built in filter i kinda rigged to stay on the new straight tap for the tank. So now i have a small piece of fuel hose connected to the tap on the tank, then a plastic fuel cutoff valve and about 6 to 8 inches of fuel hose to the carb. I took the fuel hose off the one side of the cutoff valve so i could check flow. Opened it up an fuel came out sorta steady but noticed small black pieces of something, don't know if it came from the tank or inside the fuel hose. So what should i do next, get new hose? get an inline filter? or maybe try to relocate the tank above the carb if possible?

lukeo187

Jul 27, 2011
louisiana
added a inline fuel filter so the flow is much better now, pulled the hose off the carb and the metal tube that goes into the carb came off so that was where the air leak was coming from. Fixed it and now its running fine..shft.