Winter Dreamin'

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
cvlt1It seems every winter a whole bunch of us go into the dream mode and talk of a long distance trip.Some of them materialize ( as this year i hope mine will). Other not intensionally just fizzle out. It all makes for good winter dreaming and the planning ,working over our rigs and route planning add a winter enjoyment , especially those of you who have lots of snow on the ground.
It helps to read diaries from some of the long distance stars like Auggie Dog on this site and his new blog at http://www.mb-rambler.mysite.com/ also Ken Keiffers site Bicycle Camping and Touring -- Cycling Travel Advice and Long-Distance Touring Travelogues
( Ken was strictly a pedalist) but it is very inspirational.
My favorite being Canadian is Walter Muma who on a moped did a 18660 km trip mostly in Canada - Moped Trip - Home Page
This was done on a Mobylette a French bike that you can pedal -50cc
Anyone else have an inspirational role model ?

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I do not remember the website but I am sure a google search will pull it up quickly. A guy did a whole lower 48 states ride on a Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter> his home state did not require tags, insurance etc for anything under 50cc and he rode the whole country without license, tags or insurance and had 0 problems concerning the law and only had to do minor repairs on the scooter.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
being a young 18 year old guy who hates where he lives with out a real job and hasn't seen almost any part of the country aside from where i live. i want to go across the whole thing, straight shot from MA to CA. don't really have a role model but i think i want to work at labor ready for 3-4 weeks to put aside cash, pick up a tent and some gas/oil+food money and go for it. got a brother in CA i haven't seen in about 2 years, and i'm sure he'd be happy to see me, just got back from a deployment in the gulf coast.

doubt i can do it, would need a tent, a tarp, a small bag for some stuff, and a whole lot of luck. but a guy can dream right? :)

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
If one has never tried anything like this...Start small. Planning is the secret weapon to a great trip and finding out what you really need is key. Do a round trip 3 day ride and start planning from there. Even a three day trip can be quite an adventure.

Use to do week long trips on horseback.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
At 18 years old you can do anything - you have strength and resilience on your side- some of us may even sponser you . Take whatever jobs you need there are a lots of friendly people out there in the countyside -drive carefully .

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Matt,

I used to live up in Arlington. It's nice to see someone on this site from MA! I was astonished after moving from Mass to Texas so if you do go on this trip, it will be a trip of a lifetime! I would consider stopping in Plano if you come our way.

Make sure that you are using a reliable engine. You don't want to go with a happytime and end up stranded somewhere when one of your bearings fails! I would consider Duane's GT50R as a possible engine that will provide reliable power after reading a bunch of reviews.

Good luck! If you have any questions, let me know.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
hi tech, that was actually exactly the engine i was planning on going for, just need to put aside money for it, then put aside money for fuel and food on the road. i don't think i would be able too make many stops since a direct shot from MA to CA comes in around 2,900 miles 1 way. but i'd definitely be taking a bunch of pics on the way. and i agree it would totally give me something to talk about when im old like my dad xD he once drove a car he bought for $500 that was riddled with bullet holes across country, seemed like he had fun with that considering how many times he told me n my brothers that.

i'm hoping i can actually get the money to do it, spring should be interesting.

edit: also theirs at least 3 other motorized bikes in somerville, seen em riding down the street, thats what caught my interest. just don't see em on the forums :(

Last edited: