questions about the flying horse 5G HS142F kit

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have three questions. First, what is the gear ratio on the transmission that comes with this kit? the description on spooky tooth's website says 3/16 by 1/2 drivetrain. I have a 44t rear sprocket, so what gear ratio would that give me. What rpm does the engine max out at? also, spooky tooth includes an optional heavy duty axle for $30 more, and it looks like the heavy duty axle has either a drum brake or a band brake on it. does this mean I simply remove the coaster brake axle and put the heavy duty axle on the same hub, or do I actually have to lace a new hub into my wheel. I was thinking about installing a 99cc predator on my bike, but for the same price, I can get an entire kit. I would need to know the gear ratio and top speed before considering buying this kit though.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have one of those. It is a 3:1 ratio, and I used a 56t 0n a 26" bike and it was still geared too tall. These lil engines rev to about 8000. I was gettin about 40 mph and the engine was still lugging. The clutch wouldn't lock up until about 20 mph, so it slipped a lot.
The tranny is not worth dealing with. Mine made it to 250 miles, and I had converted it to oil bath.
Excellent engine though.
I think that hub has to be laced. I've read that that brake doesn't work very good.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
but I can upgrade the tranny with a dax tranny, right? im guessing the dax tranny, like most trannys, does not come with a clutch, so what clutch should I get? I guess with speeds comparable to what I get now, im ok with the brakes I have. agk also sells parts for the huasheng, maybe i should look into that as well. with this engine, i am looking for a gear ratio of 7:1 or higher (lower?) looking for a good balance between torque and speed. have a 44t rear and want to do about 30 top speed with decent climb. for the cost of this kit, i may just buy it even if i do need to upgrade the tranny. I think a predator may just be a bit too much engine for me. anyway, advice on a better tranny with better gear reduction?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
This engine has the clutch kinda built in, and you have to buy some kind of tranny that comes with a clutch bell attached.

This engine maxes our at 8k, to get it to run at 30 top speed, you will need with that tranny, about a 72 tooth sprocket.
There is a gear calculator in the DIY forum. If yer serious about building a bike, ya gotta do the homework and figure out some of this stuff yerself.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I remember reading here about some replacement shoes of better quality. Use the search feature here and see what comes up. The stock clutch ain't bad.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am confused about the gear ratios of some of these transmissions. ok. I see the same kit with a grubee 4g tranny at pirate cycles. it says 4 cycle 49cc 2.5 hp HuaSheng engine

T belt drive transmission

80/10 tooth configuration

Universal 5/8" keyed drive shaft

3 piece wide crank

1pc to 3pc conversion kit

48 tooth 9 hole chrome sprocket

and says cruising speed of around 35mph. same engine, so what is that gear ratio? i dont understand what 80/10 tooth configuration means, and have no idea how to enter the right numbers in the gear ratio calculator.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
sorry for all the questions, but I have one more. i will do as much figuring as I can on my own, but I know little about transmissions and how to figure out gear ratio without knowing the number of teeth on each gear. so here is my question. dax has two different transmissions, both for the same price. one is a 3:1 reduction which I am assuming is dry, even though you probably have to lube the chain every so often. the other is a 5:1 wet gearbox. do both fit the hs49cc? I am assuming if i want better climbing ability I should go with the 5:1 to start and decide what my rear sprocket should be from there. what is the formula to figure out how to get a good ratio starting from a 5:1 reduction?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The HS engine comes 2 ways. One with the shaft, and one with the clutch in the engine block
The 5:1 gearbox has proven reliable but it reverses rotation, so that has to be considered.

The Dax 3:1 is a lot better quality than the one from Bikeberry. It has a # 35 double row chain and a heavier casing.
The Bikeberry one has single row #25 chain and the casings are thin and wallow out around the bearings.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
ok, so I guess I want to go with the 3:1 gearbox, now, how can i figure out what size rear sprocket will give me what gear ratio? if you give me a formula or the number of teeth on each gear, I will do the math myself. I am just not sure what numbers to put in the gear ratio calculator. I have a ratio calculator on my computer. so far, knowing what numbers to put in, i have been able to do the math right. i just dont know what numbers to put in for the dax tranny.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Dude, you are not helping, and I dont even think you know what I am talking about. the ratio calculator I am using asks for the number of teeth on each gear. 3:1 is not helping. I already know the gearbox has a 3:1 reduction, but that does not help me figure out what my final gear ratio is going to be, or what different size sprockets will give me which gear ratios. if you cant help me or you dont understand my questions, stay out of my threads, please. you are starting to irritate me. i am really trying to figure out what parts to get to achieve the setup i want.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
my math tells me that is a final ratio of 16.8:1. is that about right? if so, that should be plenty of climb and a good top speed. I will have no trouble with that setup at all. little more expensive than the preddy install, but more of a kit type deal, not going much faster than I am now, and that gear ratio quadruples my current torque.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
MBR is right. If you know the ratio, just plug that in, teeth don't matter . 10/30, 20/60 ect still equals 3:1.
If you don't have a 3rd ratio, just leave that one at 1:1