Silicone on Head Gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

Huffathump

Feb 24, 2009
indiana
Howdy folks! I am still troubleshooting/ breaking in my 66cc china girl before my 1200 mile trip, and its a good thing too. I have discovered all sorts of minor leaks, blown out and replaced the factory exhaust gasket, etc. The engine has been running better and better- smoothest one I have built so far.

But today I noticed oil on the front side of the head. A quick check showed that I had a leaking head gasket, probably due to bolts not tightened sufficiently.

My question is this: I am ordering a new gasket, but as a short term solution would it be best to put the old gasket back on as it is, or could I add a bit of high temp silicone to make sure it seals?

Having primarily worked on high performance V8 big blocks in the past, I am a bit leery about silicone anywhere near the combustion chamber... but I saw some other posts where people were getting away with just gasket paper and silicone, so I thought I would check.

Thanks!

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
yer mate. wen i put a gasket on either the exhaust or the inlet i just cover it in silicon or grease just to make sure it dosent stick so wen i take them off i can still re use them.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
when i first got my kit i attempeted to fix a leaking head gasket with high temp silicone and it didnt work what so ever but if you wanna try it i wish you luck, btw if there is a tractor supply near you they sell aluminum sheet the exact same thickness as the head gasket in the kit and all you have to do is use the old one as a template and cut a new one to size. cost: $6 and you could make 10 of em from the same sheet. -justin

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I use the cheapest aluminum spray paint I can find look at what is in the can make sure its powered aluminum clean off the gasket on both sides and then give it a coat of paint kind of heavy on the paint and you can either let it dry or put it on wet then torque it down with a torque wrench.
This works for me and used to use it on Harley Davidson pan head engines I learned this from a old Harley mechanic in Burlington, Iowa years ago.
Norman

Huffathump

Feb 24, 2009
indiana
thanks to all! I will stay away from the silicone. I think my head gasket is actually intact, so the aluminum spray should do nicely. Also thanks for the tip on the aluminum sheet. would "dead soft" copper work just as well? Because I have plenty of that lying around- would save me a trip.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Think I Remember Copper Head Gaskets For Big Block Racing Engines. I Would Think It Better Than Aluminum. Alum Is Much Cheaper. They Sell A Small Bottle Of Flo-x, A Clear Liquid With A Dauper. It Is Supposed To Expand With Heat To Fill Voids. I Have Used It For Over "45 Years" . Never Had Any Problems. Used It In Many 500 Hp Dirt Track Engines. Also Used The Aluminum Paint, It Is A Very Old Trick Used By Many, As Long As I Can Remember. I Could Post A Pic Of The Flo X, I Bought A Couple Yrs Ago. Most Auto Parts Stores Sell It. Ron

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
I've used silicon on head gaskets and for head gaskets on 2 stroke engines several times, and never with a problem. Removing the head gasket and using silicon worked well for raising the compression a little on many small bikes.

I've always worried about using the silicon though. I wonder if it prevents the head from conducting heat as well?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Anybody Remember , Several Yrs Ago Permatex Gasket Co Ran A Engine In Nascar With No Gaskets, Just The Peratex Dope. Ron
I did not hear about that recently but I knew about it from years ago.

1936 Bill France built a motor using nothing but Permatex.

1975 or 1976 Bobby Allison used a motor at Talladega with only Permatex threadlock. Used not one single gasket or lock washers.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MR FAIR, 1976 IS THE EVENT I REMEMBER. I DON`T KNOW IF IT FINISHED THE RACE OR NOT. IF THE FLO-X IS PUT ON THE ALUM HT HEAD GASKET AND HEAT IT WITH MATCH OR FLICK YOUR BIC YOU WILL SEE IT EXPAND. RON..shft.

BudFreed

Feb 22, 2010
Clarkston, MI
I am reading all this and I want to make sure I get the right kind of paint. How can you tell if it has aluminum in it? What brand? Where can I find it?

Thanks Bud

Dooley863

Apr 17, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
i cut a circle out of a tin can, and place it at the "mating surface" of the head and the aluminum gasket. and have had no more combustion leak. but you got to make sure that the inside diameter of the can is clean and precise. cause you dont want small pieces falling into the chamber and out the exhaust.dance1