99cc Predator/CVT = DONE!

GoldenMotor.com

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
That is one awesome beast. Give us a few details on how you fit that exhaust together.
I made the exhaust setup by first aquiring a 3/4" flange pipe adapter from lowes/homedepot, sanding it down a bit on the bottom and smoothening it out for a tight seal, cutting off excess sections of it, and then drilling holes to match up with the triangle exhaust manifold that comes stock on the predator.

Everything else is just some steel pipe fittings that the flex hose threads into.

How does she run? Nice job!
SB
Well, she goes out for her maiden voyage sometime this morning, so I will let you guys know how she runs and what her top speed is!

It looks really nice!
The driven sprocket assembly on the jack shaft reminds me of the axle mounted shredder on one of the cars in the movie "Grease".
Ya, those bolts are a bit too long, but it's what I had at the moment haha!

Thanks for the nice words guys, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I was thinking meat grinder with the long bolts and exsposed pulleys of the cvt.. Friction burns and leg hamburger meat I hope are not the plans on this well done ride!!
Luckily I have a cover for the CVT, already trimmed the bolts down, and plan to cover the jackshaft sprocket. No leg hamburgers PLEASE!

On a happy note, I took it for a very very short ride, and the acceleration is just amazing! Significantly better than the 99cc predator build I previously did with AGK's single speed jackshaft. I have not taken it up to speed yet over 20 mph though, as I'm still scared of that jackshaft gear. And boy, that belt drive is sure smooth in it's engagement compared to the vibratey/shakey centrifugal clutch.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Well, today I receive my #35 offset link in the mail to tighten up the chain that links the CVT to the jackshaft. As soon as that is in place, I get to finally take it out for a full speed run!

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Hey Rat....
Love the buid and wish I had done the same build....SMH....I was chicken and said the more building I do the more can go wrong....Im a Puss I guess....anyhow please update us on the full on run.....just to put it out there....my Preddy is doing 42MPH (gps verified) as of now...... just cant seem to get the thing to rev over 5300RPM......but Im not sure it should things are VERY VERY VERY shakey in the powerplant area at that kind of RPM......I have gotten comfortable letting it cruise at about 4500RPM.....at least thats "MY" threshold......lol

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Rat....
Love the buid and wish I had done the same build....SMH....I was chicken and said the more building I do the more can go wrong....Im a Puss I guess....anyhow please update us on the full on run.....just to put it out there....my Preddy is doing 42MPH (gps verified) as of now...... just cant seem to get the thing to rev over 5300RPM......but Im not sure it should things are VERY VERY VERY shakey in the powerplant area at that kind of RPM......I have gotten comfortable letting it cruise at about 4500RPM.....at least thats "MY" threshold......lol
Do you have a top engine mount?
I have one on mine, helped with vibes and frame flexing from drivetrain torque, since my jackshaft is mounted on the engine.
I've seen 5800 and 46 mph. Not much vibration at all at high rpm, more pronounced at lower rpms though but not bad at all.
My ratio is 10.75:1
I cruise mine at 4500 and about 32 mph a lot, often 8- 10 miles at a time between stops. 4500 seems to be the sweet spot for cruising woth both my preddy 99 engines.
I ran the 10 mile stretch once, tryin to get home before dark, at 5000 rpms with no problems. Could tell it workin' kinda hard though.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Do you have a top engine mount?
I have one on mine, helped with vibes and frame flexing from drivetrain torque, since my jackshaft is mounted on the engine.
I've seen 5800 and 46 mph. Not much vibration at all at high rpm, more pronounced at lower rpms though but not bad at all.
My ratio is 10.75:1
I cruise mine at 4500 and about 32 mph a lot, often 8- 10 miles at a time between stops. 4500 seems to be the sweet spot for cruising woth both my preddy 99 engines.
I ran the 10 mile stretch once, tryin to get home before dark, at 5000 rpms with no problems. Could tell it workin' kinda hard though.
Nope Wayne.....I dont have a top mount to the frame.....but thats an idea I didnt think of.....I just figured that with my over built welded in 1/4" flat steel stock engine mount that wouldnt be needed I guess.....but I love the idea of more strength......btw Im running a 9.6/1 gear reduction

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Top mount might help. Lot of room for harmonic vibration with all that overhung oscilating parts engine weight.

I used a u-clamp around the front tube and a modified ragjoint plate and a short allthread, connected to the front gastank mount stub.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is an upper bracket I made for my 212cc Pred. out of 6061 T6 aluminum and a u-bolt. It clamps to the down tube and keeps the engine mounted solid. It was a nice place to mount the fuel pump as well.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/img1534pq.jpg/]
[/URL]
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/img1535w.jpg/]
[/URL]

dnut

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
BeaverRat-
Seems like you kept a pretty good running list of items required for installation. What do you estimate was the total cost of your build (minus bike)?