spark plug wont spark!

GoldenMotor.com

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
I just installed the GT5 80cc kit and I can't seem to get it started. I figured it was either a fuel or spark issue being that these motors aren't exactly the most complicated of things. I upgraded the spark plug wire and boot because the one it came with would not even come close to snapping on the plug.

When I pulled the plug it smelled like gas which was a good sign, yet when I had my friend turn the motor there was no arc in the plug. Usually I would figure that its bad wiring on my part but when we tried it holding the plug near the motor there was a large arc from the top electrode to the motor.

I tried both the plug that the motor came with and an aftermarket one I bought and neither will arc within the plug electrodes but both will to any metal near it at a distance further than the gap in the plug. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just installed the GT5 80cc kit and I can't seem to get it started. I figured it was either a fuel or spark issue being that these motors aren't exactly the most complicated of things. I upgraded the spark plug wire and boot because the one it came with would not even come close to snapping on the plug.

When I pulled the plug it smelled like gas which was a good sign, yet when I had my friend turn the motor there was no arc in the plug. Usually I would figure that its bad wiring on my part but when we tried it holding the plug near the motor there was a large arc from the top electrode to the motor.

I tried both the plug that the motor came with and an aftermarket one I bought and neither will arc within the plug electrodes but both will to any metal near it at a distance further than the gap in the plug. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
If it arcs when you hold it close to the engine that means you have spark. If the plug was no good or any of the circuitry behind it you wouldn't have spark. It is something else. Are you sure you have the throttle assembly in the carb correctly so that needle valve can travel up and down? Are you sure you have gas getting to the carb? Depress the little "tickler" button deal a few times to get gas into the carb. When you try to start it and then pull the spark plug is it wet? Some of these motors require a lot of choking to get them going and others very little if any. I would try it first with none. If it won't fire then briefly leave the choke open still won't start... then keep the choke open and peddle til your pants catch on fire. I'm no mechanic, but that's my thinking on it.
SB

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
hold the spark plug to the head, should be grounded in order to spark within the electrode, then check like suggested in above post.

Mac

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
Ok so I tried to start it and then immediately pulled the plug and it was basically dry except for a very mild smudge that came off when I wiped it off. I took apart the carb and the fuel bowl was full. I checked all of the parts for dirt and made sure the clip on the needle pin was on the second notch down. The Idle screw is set to the stock spot. I put it back together and made sure the throttle was working properly and reinstalled the carb and made sure it was well sealed.

I took it out and tried to start the thing until I thought my lungs would bleed and still nothing. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do now. Any Ideas as to why the carb isn't delivering fuel?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Did you hold the primer down for 3 seconds or so before trying to pedal it?

If it has spark and the float bowl is full, maybe you have the dreaded air leak.