Fixing the rear moutning holes on my old engine.

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Some of you might know that some time ago, my first 2 stroke broke a rear mount bolt. It broke it right off at the base, and I tried to drill it out. This led me to tap it out to an 8mm. I tapped it wrong and the thread ripped right out, so now I'm left with an engine with 2 large holes.

Anyhow, I've split the case, and taken everything out basically, and was wonering could these be fixed up with a simple MIG welder? Because I was thinking of just getting a friend to use a MIG welder on it, then drilling/tapping some 6mm holes.

Any imput on a better way?

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
why dont u try a heli-coil first, fairly cheap fix and my two rear are heli-coil 1/4 20 readyrod and have lasted almost 1500 kms now.

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
well since the 8mm are already stripped im gonna say no to droppin back to 6mm but as long as you have enough meat around the holes to go a little bigger y not go with the 8mm studs bigger is better anyway right. the heli-coil uses a a little bigger tap so you can probably get away with just retapping the 8mm holes with the heli-coil tap provided.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you're very very good at welding aluminum, don't even try it. A standard mig machine can weld aluminum but it has to be set up correctly. You'll need to reverse the polarity and run straight Argon not C-25 mix. You'll need a Teflon liner and Aluminum wire.
Go the heli-coil route or pay a professional welder to do the work.
Tom