what size disc brake rotor to get???

GoldenMotor.com

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I bought one of those adaptors. Unfortunately, the smallest size (16mm) was still too big for my 12mm dropout. I guess I'll have to shim it a bunch.

Other than that, it fit well enough, and a 203mm disc will fit my 130mm wide frame.
I bought the same adapter and have the same problem, I had to shim it. Luckily my after market kickstand seems to clamp the adapter nicely. Other then that it works great.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Why not just make or buy a 1/2" P-clamp instead of shimming it? 12mm is basically 1/2"...

thats a great idea for a different build an its cheap! how can you make that work with the sprocket already there?
You will need a drive sprocket that is smaller then the brake rotor to use the caliper as intended. If your sprocket is bigger then the rotor and you can mount the rotor; you can take the brake caliper apart and use just half of it on the rotor. It works, not as good as a fully functional caliper, but it works. The only side effect of a one sided caliper is you'll go through brake pads more often.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
My 6 hole sprocket is way larger then my rotor. For the rear that adapter needs a 180mm rotor. (160 on the front) I made a spacer on the lathe for the rotor to bolt to the rear hub through the sprocket and my setup works fine. Didn't have to take the caliper apart.