Do most racers build own bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

Anthemavm

Jul 23, 2011
Ocean
I love bikes and the idea of one with a motor. I also love racing and thought it would befun to get into racing . I have no talent to buy or work on things. Do most racer , build and would it be possibleto compete wwithoutthe ability to work on a bike?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I am sure you could purchase a bike setup for racing and compete. Many members here could help or sell you a bike. Like they say...speed cost money...how fast do you want to go?

I'll sell you a bike...that will scare you...lafflaff

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think you can be a good racer if you have the desire. You will quickly learn how to do the maintenance, since racing is tough on any vehical, at any horspower level. Plenty of racers on this site to provide guidance.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Most racers build their own, the others get help from family or friends.

I would think that if you wanted to only race 'sponsored' you would have a large bank roll or have some excellent credentials to avoid building.

building your own bike helps you learn about your bike thus you can do your own maintenance and repairs.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Most racers build their own, the others get help from family or friends.

I would think that if you wanted to only race 'sponsored' you would have a large bank roll or have some excellent credentials to avoid building.

building your own bike helps you learn about your bike thus you can do your own maintenance and repairs.
OP did not mention anything about being "sponsored", only said he wanted to race but didn't have any mechanical skills. But you are correct, it takes money to have race bikes built.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
It's not like people are born knowing how to build and fix things, you can learn. I would suggest getting one of the 2 stroke kits that are super easy to build, and we can help you do it right. If you have no desire to learn, know that no bicycle shops will work on your bike because of liability and motorcycle shops don't have bicycle tools. Ya gotta do the maintainence yourself unless there is one of the few motor bike shops in your city.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The other thing the op ought to realize is that racing can be hard on any machine. If you can't fix it yourself in between heats, then you'll need to hire a mechanic or a crew to work for you. That won't be cheap either. I am not a racer, nor do I have a whole lot of mechanical experience compared to some other members of this forum. I do build/fix/ride my own bikes. I would not recommend that you attempt to race without having mechanical knowledge, unless you have the money to hire a mechanic or two. Have some patience, start off small, learn what you can at each level before progressing. That's what I did. Started with a china kit and a beach cruiser from kmart, and ran it bone stock until my friend cracked the frame. Built my second bike, similar setup but the bike was from wallyworld. ran it mostly stock for awhile, then added some performance parts. Engine broke down one day, got tired of replacing parts. Decided I had gone as far as I wanted to with the kits, and got started on a fully custom project. Now I've got my dream bike, a custom cruiser with a 98cc minibike (4 stroke) engine. There is no kit or manual for putting a bike together the way I did, you learn as you build it. So it is possible to learn how to do things yourself, you just have to have patience and gain confidence in your skills as you go along.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I love bikes and the idea of one with a motor. I also love racing and thought it would befun to get into racing . I have no talent to buy or work on things. Do most racer , build and would it be possibleto compete wwithoutthe ability to work on a bike?
Good news my friend! :)
SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing has a new class that is made for your stock
66 cc run to the store China Gurl.
That's right any old piece of crap bike is eligible as long as it isn't a death
trap and has some kinda brakes.
Slap a pie plate number plate on it and you are ready to race! :D

It's called the "Amateur Class" and it has the best prizes of all the other
classes from Piston Bikes, CR Machine, Venice Motor Bikes.

You don't have to build an expensive race bike to start racing and
anyone can do it.

#90 13 year old Matt the winner of the first Amateur Class race and
he won a Grubee GT 2 aluminum frame from PistonBikes.com! :)

Matt will be advancing to the Intermediate Class at the next race
which also has very cool prizes from our sponsors.

Last edited: