Breaking News... Man discovers new use for JB Weld!

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
***Use at your own risk-not recommended.***

So who likes rim wear? I don't, I am using a rim intended for disc brakes, perhaps it does not really matter but.
I hate what happens to rims, they get scoured, grooved and then become scrap metal.
So as the experimenting kind of guy that I am, I coated my rims with JB Weld, it spreads real nice with a finger.
I cleaned the rims with a dry cloth, then varsol, then a dry cloth again, then JB Weld.
Then out for a test drive...
It was like I had no brakes at all!
Good thing for front brakes.

So today I bought new brake pads (Jagwire brand) I asked for sticky brakes, that's what the bike tech picked out for me.
They work great. I needed new pads in a bad way.

Don't know how the JB Weld is going to last, but right now I am not wearing down aluminum.

So, If you try this, and your brakes don't stop you, don't come coasting over to me and tearing off a strip.
I warned you!

Please note, I would not JB Weld rims that are worn to the breaking point, get rid of the rim, I just went over superficial wear.

***Use at your own risk-not recommended.***

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the jb weld will probably just wear off too, and if you didnt sand it, it may also wear the pads faster, especially soft pads. hard pads would just wear the jb weld down. soft pads would wear down faster on a rough, uneven surface. no matter how thin you spread it, it wont be smooth unless you sand it. best solution is to just use soft pads. they will wear fairly quick anyway, but they wont wear your rim as fast. another solution is since you have a rim that can take a disc brake is to use the disc brake. venice motor bikes sells fork adapters for disc brakes, and you can look online for the other parts you need. ebay or amazon should have them really cheap. disc brakes are way better than rim brakes. but jb weld is probably not a good or permanent solution against rim wear.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Somebody has to do the experimenting.
Someone out there was the first to make rhubarb into jam.
"You are making jam out of WHAT!?"

My home made top hat adapter needs some trimming to fit a disc brake caliper, and my frame needs an adapter or a weld on caliper mount, so I am going with rim brakes for now.

I will see how the wear proceeds and report back.

PS, I got the JB Weld pretty smooth spreading it on with my fingertips, I've got mad smoothin' skilz.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
So here I am again, put many more km's on my bike and the JB Weld is still on my rims.
This IMO is a good cheap way to extend the life of your rims.

PS, the woman has since made rhubarb jam.

PS, everything that bigbutterbean has said has not happened.