Found some tires today

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Found 4 kenda tires sitting out for trash, nothing wrong with them. 2 26 x 1.9 gumwalls and 2 24 x 1.95 blackwalls. tread still good and everything. free stuff rocks!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thanks. I walked by quite a few times before deciding to pick them up. People were around, and I didnt want anyone to see me picking out of the trash. Finally I said I better grab them before anyone else does,, and some lady was outside in a pink robe (and I should be embarrassed about picking out of the trash, lol), so I circled around the block and she was gone. I quickly grabbed the tires and me and my dog got the heck outta there, lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, know what you mean. It is embarrassing. I was thrown out of the Merchant Marine for medical stuff, (16 yrs! they couldn't let me get the last 4 in!) and had nothing to do. Eneded up helping this very old guy who was a professional dumpster diver. Just for some thing to do. Was surprised how many folks make an actual living at this and how many tricks there are.

Colleges at the end of the year and any large box store. Most especially if they are going out of business. The dumpsters are chuck full of new stuff. With the stores, the employees would be steeling stuff. Which I would try to return to the store and the old guy would threaten me with his cane, lol. The college thing, rich kids wouldn't want to have to worrie about their PC/laptop or bikes home.

Is funny, what we throw away really would be a treasure elsewhere.

You needed 24's too, didn't you BBB? See, the powers that be are helping with your build!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
BBB,
I have tried to figure out what your signature means and don't have a clue.

"The triumph of a treacherous youth over his skilled elders is satisfying and rewarding"

I await enlightenment. Does this mean something? Just wondering...
SB

Steve1990

Jun 12, 2012
I can see Detroit from here!
I've gotten many a bike out of the trash. quick flipping money since most need nothing more than a tune up and a cleaning. I've found everything from the ubiquitous Steel Frame American Huffy MB (I love those for knock around bikes), tp a few Peugeot PX-10, to an old Firestone utility bike that looked as tho it was straight out of an old Factory (it was ROUGH, ended up having to scrap it :( still have parts from it tho ).

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I believe more than one person has the signature "age and treachery will always triumph over youth and skill". well, youth can be treacherous too. thats what the signature is about. but I should probably change it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the 24's are definitely useful. the 26's will most likely be kept as spares for emergencies, because when I rebuild my bike, im putting a fat tire on the back. a 26 x 3 if I can find it. front tire will be 24 x 1.95. I see a lot of cruiser style motorcycles have bigger tires in back, and thats sort of the look im going for.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Not a stab at anyone, just me being the other side of the coin, that's all.
I also thought what Norm (VMB) was thinkin'. But even less important........what is this: "STRICTLY FOR MY NINJAS"? Video game? Suzuki's? Samarai swords? Ninja hooks, stars? Kawasaki's???????

I knew a Ninja that had a Katana and the Katana was neither a sword or a Suzuki.....news at 10 :D

dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Good score, BBB!
Way back when I frequently shopped at the local dumpsters I did not care if anyone saw me. I still would not care. I found perfectly good TV's, bicycles, lamps, stereos, vacuum cleaners ( a couple of Kirby's!) and once a brand new, in the box, under the kitchen cabinet mounted TV/ radio/ alarm clock combo. I still think that an employee was trying to steal it and I got to it first.
Nearly everything worked perfectly or just needed a little TLC to get back into good working condition.

If anyone were to say something negative to me I simply said " I am recycling and keeping good stuff out of the dump".
If they had a problem with that, it was their problem, not mine.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I pick up every vacuum I see on the side of the road. 99 out of 100 the $2 belt for the beater roller thing is gone. Most pop open and even have what sized belt listed inside the cover.

Ran out of folks to give them to. But vacums are crazy expensive. Folks just starting a family really appreciate one. Gonna start doing fridges, washers and dryers.

(There is 2 "U"s in vacuum!? %&$$* English!)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I also thought what Norm (VMB) was thinkin'. But even less important........what is this: "STRICTLY FOR MY NINJAS"? Video game? Suzuki's? Samarai swords? Ninja hooks, stars? Kawasaki's???????

I knew a Ninja that had a Katana and the Katana was neither a sword or a Suzuki.....news at 10 :D

dnut

Lol, I saw it on somebody's T-shirt once, and if you know what other expression it resembles, its pretty funny. unfortunately, I cant repeat the other expression, but I will say this: it was a title of one of Tupac's albums. Tupac was a rapper for those of you who dont know. He was murdered at the age of 25, and is considered to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. He is personally my favorite hip-hop artist and one of very few that I still listen to. I jusst thought the quote was funny. The time is a piece of wax quote is from a song by Beck called "Loser", and the other quote is from a movie called "The Signal"

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
the 24's are definitely useful. the 26's will most likely be kept as spares for emergencies, because when I rebuild my bike, im putting a fat tire on the back. a 26 x 3 if I can find it. front tire will be 24 x 1.95. I see a lot of cruiser style motorcycles have bigger tires in back, and thats sort of the look im going for.
If you want to go with a look similar to a cruiser/chopper motorcycle, you would want to go with a larger diameter but thinner tire up front and a smaller diameter thicker tire in back, like they did with the Schwinn chopper.

So maybe a 26 x 1.95 up front and a 24 x 3 out back?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
reason for the smaller tire up front is what sizes my wheels are available in. front wheel I can pretty much get in 24" or 26", but im going with the 24" because it is cheaper. the rear wheel I want is only available in 26". Not sure which schwinn chopper you are referring to, but the original stingray wasn't a chopper and the occ stingray has a 20" front wheel, as far as I know. I could be wrong, but the last occ stingray I saw had a 20" front and a 24" rear. cruisers and choppers are totally different. cruisers usually have same size wheels but have a wider rear tire, and choppers have long forks with a smaller front wheel. a lot of people confuse cruisers and choppers, but they are not the same. I realize that a smaller front wheel is not a traditional cruiser, but if all the parts I want come together for me, I will end up with the look I am envisioning in my mind. I am going for as close to a classic cruiser look as I can get, but it doesnt have to be exact. Either way, I want a 26 x 3 rear if I can find it and a 24 x 1.95 front.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
reason for the smaller tire up front is what sizes my wheels are available in. front wheel I can pretty much get in 24" or 26", but im going with the 24" because it is cheaper. the rear wheel I want is only available in 26". Not sure which schwinn chopper you are referring to, but the original stingray wasn't a chopper and the occ stingray has a 20" front wheel, as far as I know. I could be wrong, but the last occ stingray I saw had a 20" front and a 24" rear. cruisers and choppers are totally different. cruisers usually have same size wheels but have a wider rear tire, and choppers have long forks with a smaller front wheel. a lot of people confuse cruisers and choppers, but they are not the same. I realize that a smaller front wheel is not a traditional cruiser, but if all the parts I want come together for me, I will end up with the look I am envisioning in my mind. I am going for as close to a classic cruiser look as I can get, but it doesnt have to be exact. Either way, I want a 26 x 3 rear if I can find it and a 24 x 1.95 front.
Right, sorry I was not more clear, I was referring to the newer OCC chopper, which I believe stock has a 24" front and 20" rear.

And having ridden cruiser motorcycles for years, I can honestly say that while some have the same diameter wheels with the rear wider than the front (my Kingpin had 18's front and rear), there are very many that have a larger diameter front and a smaller diameter rear. Mainstream cruisers like the Honda VTX, Yamaha Vstars, modern Harleys. I had a Virago 1100 that came like that...

Last edited: