What type of caliper brakes work on Cruisers

GoldenMotor.com

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
I have seen some higher quality caliper brakes from Shimano, or SRAM and was wondering if they would fit on a Schwinn Legacy cruiser? I know the reach for the rear tire is extremely long distance from the centerbolt mount to the rim of tire. I can't tell if these nicer looking caliper brakes will work, for instance these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BR-34...7ZG6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331785542&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Apex-Bra...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331786388&sr=1-5

Not sure if this has a center bolt that would work on my cruiser. I know some of these caliper brakes have sunken mounting bolt, which I assume won't mount on the simple pre-drilled holes on the fork of my cruiser for brake mounting.

I previously had the Odyssey 1999 BMX caliper brake and it snapped in half after a couple months of riding.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have those "type" of brakes on front and rear of my cruiser. I suspect that the mounting would have to have a center bolt (that you can't see). On my cruiser, I holes to mount them, and they work ok, nothing great, but maybe I need new, better pads.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
It seems the center bolt on "these" caliper brakes are different from a traditional caliper side pull. Also, how is your reach in the rear? Is the arm long enough to reach the rim? Or did you have to mount the brake upside down?

Can you post some pics of your brakes front and rear? I want to get a better idea how the center bolts look like. All the pics online have the bolt out of view.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I didn't have to make any modifications to the break. It just bolted up. Although I'd rather have a different break, I didn't want to weld the two nuts on to the frame.

Here are a couple pictures, the brace coming off the rear break is a additional support for a rack.

Rear.... Front....