tire tech time,questions about tires.

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
last time i was heavily involved with bicycles is when i was a kid,and we didnt have kevlar or tubeless set ups,bicycles were like a common sense lo-tech thing. now im seeing all kinds of different tubes and tires that seem like hype.

so im throwing this out there to you all that have experience with this,im building a beach cruiser with normal 26 inch tires. what is a great combo for tires/inner tube these days? do kevlar tires hold up well, how about these double thick inner tubes? or the ones with slime in them?

any advice here is greatly appreciated.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
One the rear tire my BoXer bike I was having to re-harden my back tire once a week until I finally found a picture hanging type nail stuck in the tire. I pulled the nail out pointed the tire down went back in the house. Came out 4 hours later re-hardened my tire its held air and will hold air perfectly. I plan to do absolutely nothing about it. Tire never went flat on me I was riding around the whole time!

Note if the rim gets hit by a nail its usually over that tire tube set was a 24x3.0! I did fine.

Pre Slimed tubes are generally paper thin tubes with very little product in them. I won't go near them. I've use my self tires from the likes of walmart 26x1.75 or bigger. 2.4mm wall thickness tubes with up to 8 ounces of the slime put in. I have yet to see Kevlar stop the likes of a goathead.

There are tires out there that are plain ol meatier meaning there would be about 3 to mebbe 5 mm thickness from a Goat Sticker.

I live where Goat Head Stickers are a plenty. Give me a bowl and some milk and I will eat them for breakfast.

http://motorbicycling.com/f53/24-x3-0-true-heavy-duty-27659.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f53/how-can-i-stop-flat-tires-27895.html

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sry, can't comment on kevlar, but I can tell there is a major difference between a 195 tire and a 2.125... night and day!
the fatter the better !!!
rc

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
because i first started with an OCC stingray, the rear tire always had me worried because of a replacement was hard to come by,i know i can buy online,but thats not as easy as walking into a store and getting new rubber or a tube,so i used slime as a prevention to leaks from anything i picked up along the road.

how good are these double thick or "thorn resistant" tubes?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I will only spend money on those thorn resistant tubes.
We got the goats heads/puncture vines, whatever you call em in your area...

Thorn resistant tube, a strip thing in the tire, and slime as directed is how we roll here. W 3 boys it was the only way to roll.
rc

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I suspect dunno? Do they offer a decent thick tube for the OCC? If not do what I did for my 24x3.0 balloon tire. I could only find 1.7mm thickest from any bicycle shop. At Motorcycle shop I could get darn near to my surprise 4mm thick. Mebbe go to a motorcycle shop and get a tube matched up for the OCC?

Motorcycle's tires do not typically come with paper thin frail tubes. The big trick the whole reason I have all my luck personally is with thick tubes/plenty 0 slime. With thick tubes the life's Blood simply coagulates supremely.

I normally run myself 26x2.7 size about tires I had good luck with these tubes. Kenda Downhill Tube 26x2.4~2.75 bike bicycle

I can always find a heavy duty tube in the 26x1.75 on up at the local bike shops here. .. Touring bikes with pencil size tires I never liked can't speak for those much I don't use them. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...=UTF-8&sa=Search&q=2.25mm+tubes+bicycle&hl=en

I have read some where cannot find it at the moment its on another forum. A guy matched up a motorcycle tire that was bigger,too big for his frame and it fit the OCC wheel rim. It was an extravagant build. I am pretty sure the OCC tube is available at a Local M.S..

NOTE................
Bicycle shops measure tubes by the tire. Motorcycle shops measure tubes by the rim.

Last edited:

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
my mistake goat, i was just saying how hard it was when i had my OCC to find even aftermarket replacement tires and tubes for the bike is the reason i slimed them as a measure of precaution so im not waiting for some one to send me new ones in the mail.

i am now over 2k miles away from my beloved OCC and cant afford to have it shipped to me,so im building a new bike, a Schwinn riverside beach cruiser with a 4 stroke kit,i just know there is a whole new world of options now cause i have standard 26 inch rims to play with and make sure im not throwing money out the window on garbage tires/tubes.

ill most likey keep the tires for now and pick up some of them thick tubes,but anyone else who knows a better combo for what we do let me know.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
The best puncture protection you can get is lots of rubber between the innertube and the road surface. Things like kevlar belts can help protect against cuts from glass, but won't help much with punctures from pointed things like thumbtacks or short screws. The thick rubber tire blocks both better, by making the object push farther before it can reach the innertube.

Overall I think that the most-puncture-resistant tires you could possibly get, would be the 26" x 2" moped tires mentioned elsewhere (I think they were Continentals, but other companies probably make them the same size also). These tires would be made a lot thicker and heavier than bicycle tires.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The super tubes take some road shock (almost like a thicker tire)and when they get poked, they leak instead of BUST. Worth the money.
Get them from your bike dealer or -- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works ($7-10 each)

because i first started with an OCC stingray, the rear tire always had me worried because of a replacement was hard to come by,i know i can buy online,but thats not as easy as walking into a store and getting new rubber or a tube,so i used slime as a prevention to leaks from anything i picked up along the road.

how good are these double thick or "thorn resistant" tubes?