nitromethane

GoldenMotor.com

iwel

Dec 19, 2010
Poland Szczecin
hello if anyone used a mix of nitromethane to the engine in a bike? I have big 49cc engine modifications, changed ports, exhaust and carburetor, or 10% nitromethane will be good? or is it better injection of nitrous oxide? I know on this topic, I'm waiting for concrete answers.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
sorry for zombie thread, but i had to. i tried putting some 20% nitro in my tank, it was for a glow engine. most of it is ethanol or methanol, and oils. i mixed that with about the same amount of gas. got heavy knocking but ****-your-pants power. it knocked and pulled some hard it broke off my chain pulley and i lost it. if you can get some pure nitro, go ahead and try it. but you will need to rich the mix a ton because this stuff burns with much less air required. that is why glow engines are so powerful, they can have a tiny combustion chamber because nitro fuel requires a fraction of the air that gas does. and one more thing, it knocked so hard that i could push the kill and it didn't stop the engine! talk about preignition.

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
I would be very careful adding Methanol to a motor that was not built for it; it might just melt a hole right through the piston. I did it to an off road bike many years ago, I think a forged piston is a must with any methanol

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I have used nitromethane with methanol and nitropropane with gasoline and toluene.
Nitromethane mixes with methanol well, but falls to the bottom of the tank when trying to use it with gasoline, just like water or methanol will as they are heavier than gas as well. When YGM used it, it in all probability it fell out of suspension. You MUST increase jet sizes by a bunch when using the stuff. In the days of flathead Ford racing, the guys pulled the jets out of the Stromberg carbs when using nitro/methanol fuel. YGM was lucky the motor didn't lose bearings or break/hole a piston.
Nitropropane will mix with gas, with 20% being about the most that works well with 10% probably the most bang for buck. With a Holley carb it took a jet size per each 1%. I've also used 20% Nitropropane with 80% toluene in a 13-1 Chev engine and it worked very well as the toluene has very high octane. Nitropropane is lighter than nitromethane.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm not a chemist but every single ACTUAL instance (as opposed to stories or urban legendsIi have ever seen of adding nitro to a gas engine not designed for nitro led to the exact same result......... BOOM! Tinkle tinkle tinkle...(Thats the sound of parts dropping out of the pipe) Its a BAD idea. Want to go faster? Get a bigger engine.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Again, Nitro is heavier than gas, so it goes to the bottom of the tank and the engine does not get a mix. Nito should be used with alchohol. Nitropropane can be mixed with gas, but you MUST jet huge to use it.

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
Not to change the subject but love the Corvair, Greybeard. My first car was a 55 Belair 2-door post that I dropped a 68 Olds 455 with turbo 400 into at age 16. I am surprised I survived that car. Love your engine placement. Most conversions put the engine too far forward in my opinion. Excellent work. One of my future projects is to build a 100 hp corvair aircraft engine <G>.

Silly question here on this thread. Can you alcohol inject a 2 cycle like you can a 4 cycle? I know it is used mostly with turbos so the second question is, can you turbo a 2 cycle? probably not is my guess. Like I said....silly question.

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks for the kind words about the 'vair. It was built as a "sleeper" with the radiator air intake setup as bottom feeder instead of cutting the front facia out. The back seat is in it's factory bolt holes, but close inspection will find it boxed for the waterpump shaft and pulley. I need to pull it apart and detail as it's been 15 years since it was built.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Silly question here on this thread. Can you alcohol inject a 2 cycle like you can a 4 cycle? I know it is used mostly with turbos so the second question is, can you turbo a 2 cycle? probably not is my guess. Like I said....silly question.

*[/QUOTE]

you cannot turbo a two stroke for many reasons. they do not have a fuel pump because that would be too complex, so any boost would force fuel back up the lines. and a turbo would stop a expansion chamber from working. super charging maybe, but limited effectiveness because it will just get forced out the exhaust if there is too much. so the answer would be no. idk about alcohol.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

you cannot turbo a two stroke for many reasons. they do not have a fuel pump because that would be too complex, so any boost would force fuel back up the lines. and a turbo would stop a expansion chamber from working. super charging maybe, but limited effectiveness because it will just get forced out the exhaust if there is too much. so the answer would be no. idk about alcohol.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I used Klotz Nitro in my racing kart. It's made from nitro parrafin. What they do to make nitro is nitric acid is mixed with propane. The process creates 3 products. Nitro parrafin, the solid. Nitro methane, the liqued. And nitro pentane, a gas. The nitro parrafin is a wax that melts in alcohol. I used it at the lower end of mix specs. Didn't have to rejet. Got more power and ran cooler. The mixes mentioned above were pretty rich and you would need to rejet.

Kind of on a good news for here thing: Local Shell stations have started to sell non-ethanol gasoline again! Yeaaaa!!! I was about to resort to washing out the alcohol and replaceing it with toulene now I don't have to :) With potatos being the states #1 crop we were forced to do the ethanol mix thing and it's resulting suckyness.

Ratchetbirds

Jun 12, 2011
Eastern Wash.
Nice pic Goat Herder <G>. A picture IS worth a thousand words.

That is great news Dave, my gem state neighbor. I guess I could always buy 5 gallons of 100LL from the small airport. No ethanol, 100 octane rating (better for my raised compression), and fights knock better than street pump gas. Not sure the cost is worth it, though.

Last edited:

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
darn! ya got me stumped. i don't know how well it works, though. does it? might just be some silly thing somebody tried. a two stroke doesn't have as much exhaust pressure as a four stroke, so limited effectiveness? ahh, what do i know.

i see that the turbo pulls from the carb, and the x chamber is before the turbo. so it would work. but just not practical for our ht engines.

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
ya think that any boost would blow the seals out of the bottom end? old two stroke detroit diesels used blowers and turbos but they are different birds

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Think about it guys...if you could turbo a two-stroke, Kawasaki 750 triples would still be dominating drag strips....I know somebody tried it back in the day. Have you even seen a turbo dirtbike?