Disc Brake Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
Disc brakes for front forks. I came across this site that offers an adapter for use on front forks (any). They use a free wheel rim on the front turned around so that the disc brake adapter threads on and then there is a seperate bracket that holds the brake caliper. Pretty neat idea!! The bracket for forks without caliper tabs is near the bottom of the page.

Brakes
link dont work for the brakes

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
well i got my disk brake caliper and rotor now i need to find a way to mount them/the only thing i cant find is the adapters,i know there is some bolt on stuff.i seen the one on bicycledesigner.com but they only sell the rotor with it.and not the caliper mount. i contacted venice they said they dont have brackets either ?

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i seen two different ones monarch or Schwinn not sure which one to buy that would closer match my fork.with the least modifying. i can weld just not trying to mess up my chrome,i am willing to spot weld to keep in place just don't want to put a full bead on it

wtaddington

May 9, 2012
Atlanta, TX
An easy fix for this would be to get one of those washers with a tab on it. The kind used to stop the washer from turning. Drill a small hole into the fork that the tab sets into and tighten the retainer nut back on the outside. One on each side of the fork should fix the problem of the axle and wheel slipping out.

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Thought about how to paint a picture of this possible issue and what I came up with was for you to pretend that the through HOLE in an axle that a normal 5mm quick release goes through is 50mm wide and this absurd axle fits just between the fork(does not pop in to the dropouts it sits just between them) . Now picture the bike on a repair stand with the wheel in motion moving fast. Now picture braking with the disc brake behind the front fork. Because of the direction of the wheel and the point the disc brake is makes contact w the rotor the 5mm thick quick release is going to be at about 1 or 12oclock inside that 50mm hole showing you the force applied by the brake is pulling the wheel downward (and to the side of the rim the brake is on). Picture the same thing with the disc brake in front of the fork and the skewer ends up at 7 or 6 o'clock showing you the brake is forcing the wheel up thus eliminating many potential issues. My brain has weird ways of working things out so this may not be helpful to many people. Obviously things like lawyer lips dropout clips and other fastners make an axle more secure but putting the disc brake in front of the fork just seems like common sense to me now.