Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
This is my new project bike. I have no clue what I should do with it.
So why not let the forum decide?

Is there any way to add a poll to this post?
My choices are"
1.) Rat it out
2.) motorized beach cruiser
3.) Board track/cafe racer

Also, I will not be using or wanting the skip-tooth drive train. If any one wants to trade or make an offer, just let me know.

Attachments

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
This will certainly be the dumbest reply you'll get. First thing that popped in my head was.............................Radio Flyer. If that was mine I would consider doing something in that vein.

Yep pretty gnarly.

Dan.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh Yea, as is! Like Dan said, Radio Flyer. People spend lots of cash to try to get that look.

Just my 2 cents.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Probably the wrong thing to say, but I'd consider restoring it as a peddle power only bike.

Either way, thats really sharp find.

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
I had a bike almost like it when I was a kid my grandpa reabuilt it and gave it to me it was one of the best bikes I have ever had I wish I had it now and thanks for sharing it with us

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
That is a seriously nice bike and it's in beautiful stock condition too. I know I'm biased because I have several aged original condition bicycles and absolutely love riding them, - so I'm going to say leave it just as it is. Polish it up, display it in your lounge, ride it occasionally, but don't do anything to it in the way of tearing it down or trying to motorise it.

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Ok, well...... I can't leave it "pedal power". Just not in my blood. I have not ever seen a Radio Flyer cruiser 26" before, just wagons and tricycles. Though that idea has my attention! ;)

This bike is a 1953 "Cleveland Welding Co. Road Master". The previous owner started the restoration, so it is missing a few things like the fork struts, the correct fender braces, and a few other little tid bits here and there. It has some issues, and the paint is not original, though he did do a really good job, so I plan on keeping it.

I got a hold of this bike to build, as a gift. The guy that floated it to me did so for far less than he should have got for it. Let's just say I paid less than a bill for the several he wanted. As we got to talking about it, it was getting ate, and we both had to scoot off to appointments. Both to see the doc's, and (in a twist of irony) both to pick up and wear halter monitors for our hearts. We ended up having a lot more in common than just bikes.

A few days later, I got my results. The worst for me was realized. I go in for surgery next week. I need a pacemaker implant, and there are also some other complications that go with it. After my surgery, I will no longer be able to ride MTB, and do a lot of things in my daily life. So there will be a pretty big change. This build is certainly important to me. I just want to get it right. Obviously I build on a budget, Haven't found an engine yet, but I do have a wheelset, and a few sets of bars to choose from as well as some more up to date cranks/pedals, etc.

I'm super excited to get this rolling. I'll have about a week to work on it, then another six weeks where I can't at all. Then I'll be a bit limited after that.

I really like the Radio Flyer idea. Does anyone have any pictures of one for reference?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Please, please let us know how your doing. If you can, ask some one to post with updates about your getting back up, recouping and runnin'

My "keep her the way she is" meant the bike but she is crying for a shiny China Girl. LOL, with out a doubt, you would/will have trouble convincing folks she is not decades old and a rare peace of engineering art from long ago. (Shore up the fenders!)

Really do mean it, please do not just go off and not let folks know how you are doing. Ya know how we worry, youngster.

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
You'll be in my prayers and I hope you have a swift and solid recovery.

I LOVE the fact that you are considering the Radio Flyer idea. Im new to the game but if you need something I would be more than willing to send what I can to help get this going, believe me, I understand the word Budget. I know you aren't asking for that but it makes any kind of build go faster and I would just be paying it forward as members from other forums (different hobbies) have helped me out.

Anyways let me see if I can locate a cool pic.

Dan.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
bones, never say never, unless your tellin your kids not to do something bad, you just may be able to ride after all, especially if a doctor told you that, youll be kool. I have a friend that had a pacemaker put in due to many drugs, he couldn't even walk for a little while, now hes doin donuts in his mustang on a daily basis. stay strong brother....

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
bones, never say never, unless your tellin your kids not to do something bad, you just may be able to ride after all, especially if a doctor told you that, youll be kool. I have a friend that had a pacemaker put in due to many drugs, he couldn't even walk for a little while, now hes doin donuts in his mustang on a daily basis. stay strong brother....
Amen to that! My business partner had some bad luck recently and eventually was in a coma where he also had a stroke amongst a bunch of other things, the list was long. Anyways, they weren't even sure he would be able to drive again but his progress has been amazing. Downside is he was a 1handicap golfer, don't think he will see those days again but the point is he is recovering far better and faster than all his doctors said. Power of positive thinking and also to have a good team behind you, and we are behind you!!!

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Heres a pic of an older Flyer.

I don't have the property rights to this pic so I hope it stays up for a little bit :)

Maybe do a rear basket with wood sides.

Great as I was looking for a pic, now I want one of these. Wish I made more money lol.

Dan.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
There is a member here who built a car trailer, radio flyer. NOT KIDDING! the thing is awesome. I wish I had a picture but imagine Dan's first picture towed behind a '78 buick with wooden side rails and that is pretty much it.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
good luck with that hospital sh;;;

quick recovery !!!!

i have a friend with a pacemaker after 2 years he was back to 75 percent

you be the judge when it comes to not overtaxing yourself --slow and steady

thanks for sharing your story

best

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Thank you guys for the kind words. Much appreciated!

I think I have it all figured out.
Radio Flyer it is.
It's all set up in my mind, and it will be a long build (several months). I will be making EVERYTHING true to the year. Meaning that since this is a 1953 bike, it will be modeled after a 1953 Radio Flyer wagon.

@Dan, I will be taking (and able to have) my laptop with me at the hospital, so I'll be able to post something up for you all on how things go/went.

@DanShutz, Thanks a bunch, good luck with all your future builds man! Also, I will pm you shortly. Much appreciated for sure!

I feel for your buddy. When I first had my problem almost a decade ago, I was in a comma, had to learn how to talk, walk, etc., all over again like it was all new. I spent nearly a year in the hospital, and almost three in recovery. I was kind of hoping it was all behind me, but life is full of curve balls. Luckily, this time is not as bad. So they say anyway, right now it's more or less the wallet that it's hurting. LOL They said last time I was most likely never going to walk again.... Pffft.... I went on to ride pro mountain bike. The human will is stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

@Buba, Thank you for the kind words sir! :D

@Intrepid Wheelwoman, Thank you! ;)