Stretch Cruiser Questions???

GoldenMotor.com

tommy1

Jun 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,

This is my first post to this forum and my second time Ive ever used an internet forum so if these questions have been asked numerous times before I apologize in advance :)

So I'm from Australia and never knew about stretch cruisers and chopper bikes until recently... why is this? Because some idiot a few years ago made them illegal for stores to import or sell them in Australia!!! Something to do with bike safety and the frames being so long and something with the handle bars.

I decided I wanted a Micargi Mustang GTS with a 70cc motor, (By the way, petrol powered bicycles are pretty much illegal too lol) I couldnt find anyone selling any new or second hand ones so I looked to the U.S and found that a bike supplier would sell me one but the shipping would be just over $600. There was no way I was paying almost $1000 for a $250 bike so I almost lost all hope until I found one for sale in my area. Not a micargi but I think its called a Dyno Kustom Kruiser Roadster or something? Looks pretty much the same as a micargi. So Im thinking about buying it but I have a few questions first.
here goes....

Are these bikes good?

Im a big solid dude, 6 foot 5 and 138kgs (304 pounds) will the frame/tyres be ok with this type of weight? And if Im putting a good motor on it with an expected speed of around 60-70 km (35-42 mph) should I weld a few bits and pieces on for extra frame support?

Also I really want 3inch Rims and tyres but Ive heard that you cant do 3 inch rims with these bikes. I know you can put 3inch tyres on thinner rims but 3inch rims on 3inch tyres looks way cooler. So, can it be done without to much hassle?

They are my only questions for the moment, the motor questions will be next! thanks guys for taking the time to read my post and hopefully answer a few things for me as well :)

BallSack

Jun 26, 2012
Washington
I have the same bike and there are many options to motorize it. Remember the thinner the tire the faster your speed. I went 26 x 3.0 for many years n stuff but I recently switched to the Serfas Drifter survivor series kevlar reinforced tires 26 x 2.0 and she picked up a mph or two. Those tires are around $40 USD each. Things I suggest getting spendy on yer bike: Tires brakes and a seat.

To answer yer question. Yes these are good bikes. I a morbidly obese rider like u and it pulls. I buy them as they.become available locally.

.trk

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i too have a dyno roadster and its morini powered. the dyno frame is alot better than a micargi so your on the right track. 30 mph onstock rims.brakes,tires is kinda asking for problems [your the size of 3 teen age girls] so up grade these items. i used a moped rear hub [drum brake sealed bearings] lased to a double wall alum, rims with a mtn bike front disk. look around and your get all kinds of idea's. yea stretch cruiser's are unsafe? but put a motor on one and they are one of the smoothest most stable bikes to ride on at speed. dennis

tommy1

Jun 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I have the same bike and there are many options to motorize it. Remember the thinner the tire the faster your speed. I went 26 x 3.0 for many years n stuff but I recently switched to the Serfas Drifter survivor series kevlar reinforced tires 26 x 2.0 and she picked up a mph or two. Those tires are around $40 USD each. Things I suggest getting spendy on yer bike: Tires brakes and a good seat.

.trk
Thanks for ur info! I bought the bike a few weeks ago, rides really nice! I was thinking of getting 11 or 12 gauge steel rims. I know nothing about them but they are meant to be really tuff according to forums lol
Also, I was wondering how did you go with 26x3 tires? Was it a tight fit? We're the rims 26x3? Or 26x2.5? Also any advice on a really good comfy seat?

Thanks!

tommy1

Jun 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
i too have a dyno roadster and its morini powered. the dyno frame is alot better than a micargi so your on the right track. 30 mph onstock rims.brakes,tires is kinda asking for problems [your the size of 3 teen age girls] so up grade these items. i used a moped rear hub [drum brake sealed bearings] lased to a double wall alum, rims with a mtn bike front disk. look around and your get all kinds of idea's. yea stretch cruiser's are unsafe? but put a motor on one and they are one of the smoothest most stable bikes to ride on at speed. dennis
Lol to the teenage girls bit lol
Yeah I have looked around, some people have done awesome stuff with dynos. First I'll b doing rims, then tires, then brakes. Def doing a disc brake for the front and originally was gonna leave the back but then decided to do drums on the back. When u talk about the "moped rear hub" your talking about the middle bit of the back tire yeah? Where you link up the bike chain etc? And I will need to disable my coaster brake won't I? Sorry for the dumb questions but u really don't know alot about bike mechanics lol I am trying to learn though.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
really?? dragray's opinion is right on. although they are small bikes. i am 6'1'' 280 and i fit real good on my bike. big guy's on small bikes look funny and fat guy's always look funny![me] because motorized bicycles are against the law and a nice safe bike aint cheep. you might take a look at one. im not good at bringing stuff up so i just added to my post so its at the top. their it is with pic's. good luck dennis

tommy1

Jun 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hey brado. I ended finding a seller on eBay. It took me a few months but I got there. I just kept checking online for any type of stretch cruiser that was for sale in Australia. If you don't mind paying the ridiculous postage fees, then bikebuyers.com will ship from the states to AUS but the shipping is like $650 or something lol

tommy1

Jun 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Oh braddo, forgot to mention. No dealer will ship these bikes because they are legally not aloud to sell them in Australian stores. they do not meet safety guidelines.