Schwinn OCC Chopper! Badass!

GoldenMotor.com

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17084831688...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

I won this brand new Schwinn OCC Stingray chopper! Everything on it is brand new.

I talked to the seller and asked him to do a few mods for me for a little extra cash on my end. He is gonna put loctite on the exhuast bolts,the engine mount bolts,the intake bolts and all of the cover bolts. Then for performance he is gonna open up the intake a little more and port match it along with changing out the 44 tooth sprocket in the rear down to a 32 tooth for alot more top end and then I am going to be putting a SBP expansion chamber on it,a K&N style SBP high performance air filter, and an NGK iridium spark plug. My goal is to achieve a top speed for atleast 45 mph and a cruising speed of of right a 40 mph being that I live in the middle of a major city and the only place I can ride is on 35-40 mph 6 lane streets. I think the 45 mph top speed and cruising of 40 mph is easily achievable. As it stands now with no mods he can do 35 mph and he is 170 and 6 ft and I am 130 and 5'11 so I'm about 40 pounds lighter. After its all said and done should be one sick ass bike for turning some heads and all around bad ass chopper! Let me know what everyones opinion is about my mods and what not. Oh and one last thing I will be putting a disc brake on the front tire.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
a top speed for atleast 45 mph and a cruising speed of of right a 40 mph being
My beach cruiser can top out at 35 with 66cc motor so I would imagine the mods will achieve what you want. But honestly the bike is fun at 20 mph any faster it is more, uh lets say, scary :)

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
My beach cruiser can top out at 35 with 66cc motor so I would imagine the mods will achieve what you want. But honestly the bike is fun at 20 mph any faster it is more, uh lets say, scary :)
Good point. Fastest I've gone was right at 50 mph on my schwinn 10 speed vintage 70's racing road bike it has a 32 T sprocket in the rear, 27" rims,SBP expansion chamber, SBP air filter, ngk iridium spark plug, straight drag style handle bars, and of course ported intake. It does 50 mph if I hunch over and cruises easily at 35-40. Its a blast to ride! But the one time I went 50 mph its pretty darn fun IMO but it is kind of sketchy like you said especially on a bicycle lol

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
Bike will be here saturday! Can't wait. I also ordered a Dax RT carb. So here is the whole list of upgrades. Pics and videos will be made.

SBP High Performance Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plug
Upgraded Spark Plug wire
SBP Expansion Chamber
Dax RT High Performance Carb
Port matched intake
SBP Head Gasket
32 T Boy Go Fast Sprocket in the rear (Stock is 44 T)
Royal Purple Racing Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil

And that about sums it up for upgrades ;) Should do 45 mph top speed easy with my skinny ass on it once everything is tuned in.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Being in the same area and having ridden pedal bikes here since 1997 I can show you the bike routes that have a LOT less traffic. I can show you how to get anywhere in this town via a bike friendlier route.

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
Being in the same area and having ridden pedal bikes here since 1997 I can show you the bike routes that have a LOT less traffic. I can show you how to get anywhere in this town via a bike friendlier route.
Nice man! I've lived in Memphis my whole life. I'm gonna scare ya here I was born in 1996 lol So you've been here pretty much the same amount of time I have. And if you are wondering what I do to make money I'm into custom car audio installations and a ton of side work (mowing yards,carpentry,working on cars for friends and family,etc)

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I've also lived here my whole life. Since 1970. Not much that scares me any more, really. Glad you're able to get a good hustle going on too. Always helps to have a steady source or sources of income.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
holy crap dude!
you're gonna have a ton of money in that thing!
you could have bought a motorcycle for that much.
if this chopper you bought has the stock brakes, good luck stopping it at 25 mph, let alone 45 mph.
my o.c.c. will do 32 mph, with a 41 tooth sprocket, a bone stock 66 c.c. 2 stroke, with a modified muffler on a long pipe....I only weigh 150 pounds.
stopping it isn't easy with the stock caliper brake.

PLUS, do you really want to go that fast on a bike like this?
they are VERY cheaply made and the rear wheel bearings are known to just lock up without any warning.
my advice is to get disk brakes for it (which you already planning), pull the front and rear wheels apart, clean the bearings and use some high quality, high melting point bearing grease.
don't be surprised if this bike vibrates like crazy at around 30 mph.....this is very common with the o.c.c. motorized bikes due to the engine mount.
oh, besides that, the stock seat is the most uncomfortable thing you'll ever sit on.
if you're over 5' 6" tall, you're going to be squished up trying to ride this thing. I'm 5'6" and i had to modify my seat post, use a 10 speed style seat, which i moved back about 2 inches from the stock location.

Last edited:

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
holy crap dude!
you're gonna have a ton of money in that thing!
you could have bought a motorcycle for that much.
if this chopper you bought has the stock brakes, good luck stopping it at 25 mph, let alone 45 mph.
my o.c.c. will do 32 mph, with a 41 tooth sprocket, a bone stock 66 c.c. 2 stroke, with a modified muffler on a long pipe....I only weigh 150 pounds.
stopping it isn't easy with the stock caliper brake.

PLUS, do you really want to go that fast on a bike like this?
they are VERY cheaply made and the rear wheel bearings are known to just lock up without any warning.
my advice is to get disk brakes for it (which you already planning), pull the front and rear wheels apart, clean the bearings and use some high quality, high melting point bearing grease.
don't be surprised if this bike vibrates like crazy at around 30 mph.....this is very common with the o.c.c. motorized bikes due to the engine mount.
oh, besides that, the stock seat is the most uncomfortable thing you'll ever sit on.
if you're over 5' 6" tall, you're going to be squished up trying to ride this thing. I'm 5'6" and i had to modify my seat post, use a 10 speed style seat, which i moved back about 2 inches from the stock location.
Yep I am putting disc brakes on the front for sure and maybe the back later on. As for the seat I can adjust that. Then keep in mind if you have a 41 tooth your top rpm is reached at 32 mph so thats why you vibrate so much in that 30-32 mph range but I will have a 32 T sprocket so my cruising speed will be 35-40 mph is which means I can cruise at a relatively low rpm without rattling it apart and still going at a nice speed and then top right out at 45 on rare occasion . So yes I have everything down pat man it should be fine. As for money spent the guy cut me about 100 bucks off the final bidding and I've only bought about another 150 so not that bad man and with the mods I'll have done to it, frame bracing,disc brake, overhauled 2 stroke motor, etc it will perform alot like a real bike and I've really only invested about 800 bucks but everything is brand spanking new so thats one reason and the other reason is I am 15 (soon to be 16 in a month) so the legality of it all makes it nice I've asked my local police and they said they do not have a problem with me riding it as long as I obey the road laws and keep safe they are cool with it. Now come time for me to turn 16 I have a 1979 Kawasaki KZ650 sitting in my shed that just needs a new starter gear and some carb tuning and it'll run and that will be my real bike. This motorized bicycle thing is also just one fun ass toy.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
That's cool that your 15. its good to see kids doing something like this rather than sitting around playing video games. I have about $300.00 in my o.c.c.and I built a custom gas tank for it, custom paint, custom exhaust plus other parts that I made.
One of the reasons for vibration is an unbalanced crankshaft. I have shorts bike with a 49 cc 2 stroke on it, which is geared the same as my o.c.c. , tops out at 32 mph, & has no vibrations at all.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
In order to put a disc on the front you'll need different forks. The stock forks are too narrow and they interfere with the disc.

Also, the vibration has nothing to do with the gearing or speed, it's the resonant frequency of the bike as a whole and it changes depending on a dozen factors - but it's the engine being unbalanced you should focus on. The piston and rod need to be much lighter than they are.

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
In order to put a disc on the front you'll need different forks. The stock forks are too narrow and they interfere with the disc.

Also, the vibration has nothing to do with the gearing or speed, it's the resonant frequency of the bike as a whole and it changes depending on a dozen factors - but it's the engine being unbalanced you should focus on. The piston and rod need to be much lighter than they are.
Do you know of any forks that would work well? Also gearing does have some play as to when the bike starts to reach that RPM that resonates the bike. For example say you have a stock 44 T sprocket in the rear and you start to vibrate really bad at say 6000 rpm (just an example) and your top speed is 28 mph lets say you change out the sprocket to a 32 T that would raise your top speed by approximately 10-12 mph (just an estimate by calculating the ratio) so that means at 28 mph your rpm would be alot lower then when you had the 44 T and that would mean that your would not be reaching that resonant frequency of the bike. Get what I am saying? But yes the other factors you stated are very important if you get them right you can have a bike that rides smoothly all the way up to redline without that bad of vibration.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I got my forks from http://www.bicycledesigner.com/ but there are a bunch of places.

If your bike resonates at a very low frequency (like mine does) then you want to keep a higher RPM. My 26" cruiser with a 44t resonates at around 12-15mph. After that, it's fine, except for the handle bars. They start to resonate around 20. I tried bar weights but it actually made it worse. I haven't finished my chopper so I don't have any info on that.

My main point is you can't judge any of this until you get the bike, fit it how you want it, then go ride it. Then you can start messing with rubber isolation/gearing/whatever OR you can attempt to balance the engine.

Last edited:

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
I got my forks from bicycle designs but there are a bunch of places.

If your bike resonates at a very low frequency (like mine does) then you want to keep a higher RPM. My 26" cruiser with a 44t resonates at around 12-15mph. After that, it's fine, except for the handle bars. They start to resonate around 20. I tried bar weights but it actually made it worse. I haven't finished my chopper so I don't have any info on that.

My main point is you can't judge any of this until you get the bike, fit it how you want it, then go ride it. Then you can start messing with rubber isolation/gearing/whatever OR you can attempt to balance the engine.
Understandable. I appreciate the input! I am learning more and more every day I am on this forum. It is a very very helpful place to be. I might get this front fork since I will be doing alot of street riding and there are some bumpy roads. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOPPER-BIK...aultDomain_0&hash=item1c0433bebd#ht_702wt_952

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
good luck at getting 40 mph out of it.but be careful ive put mine down twice on tight turns at about 15mph not much tread on the sides of the tires.also peds hit ground on tight turns. mines running a grubee starfire gt 2 ho,larger tank,cant fill, will leak due to steep angle. upgraded msd plug wire,ngk plug,high flow exhaust and hp air filter,pirate cycles 36t and hub adapter,was running a bigger jet in carb but went back to stock.might be getting 25-30mph out of it. remember its a bicycle that looks like a motorcycle not made to go 40,stock breaks are weak at best.just dont want to read about you getting hurt. peace

Attachments

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
good luck at getting 40 mph out of it.but be careful ive put mine down twice on tight turns at about 15mph not much tread on the sides of the tires.also peds hit ground on tight turns. mines running a grubee starfire gt 2 ho,larger tank,cant fill, will leak due to steep angle. upgraded msd plug wire,ngk plug,high flow exhaust and hp air filter,pirate cycles 36t and hub adapter,was running a bigger jet in carb but went back to stock.might be getting 25-30mph out of it. remember its a bicycle that looks like a motorcycle not made to go 40,stock breaks are weak at best.just dont want to read about you getting hurt. peace
Understandable man. I just got word from the seller he just got done putting the 32 T sprocket on (the 44 T was stock) and he said he hit 41 mph with a speedo to check at about 3/4 throttle he also had the intake port matched on it and its not even broken in completely and I am 40 pounds lighter than him (he's 170). Only things I'll be doing better is the high performance air filter,NGK spark plug,upgraded plug wire, thinner head gasket, and the SBP expansion chamber but I'm thinking the expansion chamber might be a maybe and slightly unnecessary. So after its broken in and what not I should be able to do 45 easy but I will most likely not do that except to show off on rare occasions for friends but the cool thing is he said he could cruise with a real low rpm in the 2500-3500 range at 25-30 mph and it was real smooth so thats nice. Although anything slower than 12 mph and I should pedal which is no big deal.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
For a 2-stroke motor an expansion chamber is one of the things that is considered necessary. The length of the header before the chamber is how you tune it. Long for low end torque, shorter for high end torque.

Do a search here on expansion chambers and you'll find a lot more info than I can remember. But IMHO an expansion chamber should be the one thing on your list that does NOT get crossed off. I'd lose the high performance air filter before it.

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
For a 2-stroke motor an expansion chamber is one of the things that is considered necessary. The length of the header before the chamber is how you tune it. Long for low end torque, shorter for high end torque.

Do a search here on expansion chambers and you'll find a lot more info than I can remember. But IMHO an expansion chamber should be the one thing on your list that does NOT get crossed off. I'd lose the high performance air filter before it.
Well I've already got the parts so I might as well just put em all on lol