Rear sprocket help

GoldenMotor.com

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
Ok here is my situation:

1st wheel on back was the original rim that came with the bike, the sprocket fit on it fine and was lined up perfectly with the engine, I didn't have any problems with the chain jumping off w/o a tensioner. That rim has long been dead, a piece of metal grabbed into the spokes off the road and that was the end of the rim. Thank god I wasn't going too fast. Anyway, I got a replacement rim from Scheels and it seems to be ok, but one small problem. My sprocket now seems to be sitting 1/4" too far out from the engine sprocket so the chain is jumping off to the inside between the spokes and sprocket. I don't have a dished sprocket, it's a kit I got from dax a couple years ago. Is there a way I can try to move the sprocket in toward the spokes more? A different rag washer I can use on the outside or some other material? Is there a way to adjust how the rim sits in the dropouts? CAn I adjust the nuts on the axle at all to move the rim left or right in the dropouts? Any help would be great. I would love to not have to use a tension pulley as I didn't need one before this rim came along.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
yesterday or the day before I saw on here that a guy carefully cut the one outside rag joint down the center (made it thinner)to solve this problem

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
you can adjust the length of the axle by loosing the inside nuts, but don't do to much, you don't want to be to much off center...also you can flip your sprocket if its the dish type...send a pic...that helps...Dennis...just went over your post...i have a flat dax sprocket and it sets close to the spokes and i'm using a #41 chain...wider and heavier...the wheel i have is 26x2.125 with 1.95 tire...you can get 10 ft of #41 chain from northern tool...for cheap...its wider and stays on the sprocket real good...good luck...Dennis

Last edited:

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
I'm using the wider #41 chain and the sprocket is riding on the outside edge of the chain and I think it's catching on the teeth a little bit causing the chain to jump off between the sprocket and the spokes. Yes, it's a flat dax sprocket, not dished. I may just have to get a dished sprocket. I don't really want to mess with trying to thin down the outer rag washer.