solidworks for frame design?!!

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Hi i am wondering could amyone on here tell me if they habe used solidworks to design custom bike frame and print plans. Also if anyone has it with a valid id could you please contact me i would like a copy just cant afford 500+ quid to buy it.please i am desparete and have tried all reputable free alternatives and they are impossible to use for me!!!!!!

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
So you're asking for someone with a valid SW license to violate the user agreement? The first time you log into the Internet the SW key will try to register and will flag SW that the software is installed on two computers. I can empathize with you that the cost of the software is high for an individual but in my opinion what you are asking for will cost the license holder a lot more. My suggestion is to enroll in a class and get a student edition of the software (often provided by the school). If you are an unemployed engineer, contact your local reseller and see if they have a displaced engineer training program which often includes a free one year seat. These arrangements are not as common as they used to be unfortunately.

SolidWorks also has a free 2D program called DraftSight that might work for you: http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/free-cad-software/

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Hey harold do you know a 3d cad program that is same as but free i tried a few off internet that say they are aimed at mechanical engineering a product design specifically but they are veryhard to use for even simple stuff too many differenf types of design usages

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
No, sorry. The software companies usually put a free 2D version online to entice you to buy the full 3D seat. The other issue with free software downloads from smaller developers is that you typically get what you pay for. I noticed in the chopper build bread that you were a student using SW. If you can get a job where they use SW the license allows you to install a copy on your home computer. The assumption is that you will get better at the software and they will sell more seats. They also assume that both installs won't be used at the same time which is why you shouldn't "barrow" a license for home from someone else. The only work around there would be if you have a relationship with the business owner not just the employee using the seat, and the person with the license never uses the software at the same time that you are.