Skyhawk gt5 power and rev problems

GoldenMotor.com

c2k5

Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I was out for a cruise a while ago and everything was running fine. All of a sudden I start to get really low engine power. I hold in my clutch and then release it and it powers up like normal for about 2 seconds then has no power. When I hold in the clutch the engine revs to about 4-4.5k rpm and stays that way. I can keep releasing the clutch for more power, but like I said it only lasts for a couple seconds and I don't want to damage the clutch so I only did that about 4 times. I was thinking it might be an idle screw problem, however I have no idea where the screw is at. My engine never came with a manual, and googling has turned me up nothing. Is it the screw that the clutch cable go's through? I tried turning that but it appears you need to be Thor to do it. The engine is a 2011 Skyhawk gt5, stock everything right now except spark plug and cdi.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
uhm, in all honesty from the sounds of it, it sounds like the clutch is relieving some kind of pressure from the motor, I'd say check to see if your chain is properly tensioned.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
ok so its not to much oil next thing is try riding with the gas cap loose just enough to brake the seal to see if its a vent problem might be vapor lock and thats easy to fix

c2k5

Jun 24, 2012
Texas
ok that fixes it temporarily, but as soon as I put the cap back on it starts to bog down again.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Sounds like a faulty gas cap then. It's supposed to let air in as fuel is pulled into the carb. Yours is air tight which is pulling a vacuum inside the tank. Your engine is starving for fuel and losing power. You're better off leaving the cap loose until you get a new cap.

What carb are you using?