"speed" carb upgrade?

GoldenMotor.com

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Far Northern N.S.W Australia
Yes I understand that , this has to be the crapiest running carb I have have used , what else would stop the choke from killing the motor , doesnt make any difference if its off or on , actually it runs better with the choke closed , anyway I will try again .

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
If the choke does not kill the motor, Your motor is A: Very cold and has not warmed up yet, Normal
B: Running very lean. Check for cloged jets, Improper needle clip settings, Etc.
C: Has a leak beween the carb and motor, causing it to be very lean.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
my mate put one of these on his gt4 and he had to change the clip settings to the 2nd from the top rather than the middle. dont know if that means anything to ya..

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
so to get back on topic i just spent 25 bucks on a speed carb....ill tell you guys if its any better...it might be worth it it might not but so far no one has an answer to this....as for the o ring thing...it works....

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
I have a speed carb, and its a nice carb, it gave me better pickup, then the stock one, I ported the intake,and gasket got alittle more top end. I tryed the CNS carb couldnt get it to go as fast as the speed carb, so I went back to the speed carb.I put a expansion chamber on it and have way more power. And it goes 36mph with a 44t gearusflg

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Not sure but I think it is 16mm. If the carb you want to use is off of a four cycle engine it will be most likely too small. The "speed" carb is the same bore as the non-speed carb.

Jim

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah you can't use the slide from an NT in a stock carb, it's a hair too big to fit, and if you use the slide from the stock carb in the NT you'll have airflow around the slide, since it will be loose.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
the manifold is 19mm. and the nt is the stock carb, the speed carb is the speed carb.... and theirs rhe cns but you have to do a lot of work to get it to run .... speed carb is slightly bigger and has a fuel turn off built on to it... ps dont ues a 4 stroke carb.... check out treatland tv they have a del 19.19 that seems to work geat if you got the dough!! dax also has a clone of the del...

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
ive made two changes on my second build it aint tuned in yet but this one has a speed carb my aircleaner is red and will soon be candy green but ive only run the motor arround my parking lot but the differance between flying horse 66 and grubbee 66 is like night and day so far although the grubbee is harder to start but i think that its due to fuel lin issues
youhavechosennottousepunctuationandi'mcurious, whichenginewastheupgrade?isthegrubeebetter,ortheflyinghorse?

Alson333

Nov 9, 2011
Kankakee Illinois
The older speed carbs had speed writen on the side of the carb. The new speed carb doesent have speed on them, and hate to say the ideal screw hardley works on the nw speed carb, but they come with a nice big o-ring, works good. My friend didnt like the new speed carb, he used his same slide, that was on hia old speed carb, anyway lost 8 mph, hes bull headed wont change slides, thinks it a junk carb, hes going to put his old one back onl hes got a pice broke where he screws the boult on to hold his air filter on, hes bull headed and no patichence

Alson333

Nov 9, 2011
Kankakee Illinois
My friend let me change his slide back to the one that came with his new speed carb and he likes jt a lot better. The other slide was to small that came on his old speed carb. Any way he got a ,ittle more speed 39 mph he said. Tommarow Im going to race him, mine goes 38 with a 39t gear hes got a 40t gear and a expansion chamber, will see

SuedePflow

Jun 12, 2013
Coloma, MI
Anyone got a link or video that explains how to play with jet sizing and clip loactions? I'm new at this stuff and have a Speed carb that bogs badly over 80% throttle. I'm guessing it's running too rich.