Going racing on the cheap. $500 racers, based off of motored bicycles.

GoldenMotor.com

nerobro

Dec 13, 2009
Chicagoland
Your leg doesn't interfere with the engine. I am only making fairings for one style frame, BMX frames. The method for mounting the fairing will allow it to accommodate any frame tube shape.

Lowrider frames are out.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The participants each bring a 'stock' bike. Each bike would be safety inspected.

They each pay $350 as a deposit.

They draw #'s to determine which bike they will race (probably won't be your bike).

If you wreck the bike you're on, you lose your $350, or the owner would get to keep your bike.

If you don't wreck the bike, you get back $300.

The $50 'hold back' is used as the purse.

These 'rules' would ensure that people don't overspend on the bikes. It would also ensure that you wouldn't purposely wreck someone else's bike because you'd lose your money. The deposit money could be used to determine the classes.....the higher the deposit, the faster the bike.

Just the rambling thoughts of an old guy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That's not gonna work simply because there are a plethora of different bmx frames. That's why I said lowrider frames,there's no difference in the frames. He is already talking about engine swap with the winning racer,but that won't work with bmx frames. Unless there's a mount that works on all bmx frames?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That's not gonna work simply because there are a plethora of different bmx frames. That's why I said lowrider frames,there's no difference in the frames. He is already talking about engine swap with the winning racer,but that won't work with bmx frames. Unless there's a mount that works on all bmx frames?

Guess I forgot to mention that the engine is already on the bike you bring.

Sorry about the oversight.....bld.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I know the motor will be attached. But where? If its lopsided like the picture he posted,who's gonna want to ride that?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I know the motor will be attached. But where? If its lopsided like the picture he posted,who's gonna want to ride that?

I just talking about any type of 'spec' racing (not just the goofy 'offset' bike) to keep the competition as close as possible. Everyone wants to win. Nobody wants the other guy to win on a machine that you built. Nobody wants to lose their machine or money. It can't get anymore fair than that.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
And I agree with you sir. Look at what I posted for specs. That would work to keep everything on the level. And the engine swap makes sense to me. I have 15+ bmx frames and they are ALL different. They are all similar,because they all have 20" wheels.

nerobro

Dec 13, 2009
Chicagoland
Ok.......so where do your feet go? On the rear pegs? If that's the case I'm good.
Yup, on the rear pegs. There will be no pedals.

The participants each bring a 'stock' bike. Each bike would be safety inspected.

They each pay $350 as a deposit.

Just the rambling thoughts of an old guy.
Clever, but that price is steep enough to keep participants out of the game. And more importantly, you lose "your" saddle, and bars, and brake setup.

The sidesaddle mount gets around the frame problem. The motor doesn't "fit" the frame anyway, so by having a standard mount method, that will work on ~any~ frame, lets you do things like swap engines quickly.

The only problem that a rider might run into is brake mounts. In the case of the SIMS Torch I bought, the brakes are limiting how far forward I can mount the engine. *shrugs* it's not a big deal.

I should have the engine mount done this weekend, so you can see what i'm talking about.

I would. Most of my friends would. Sure, it'll look weird without a fairing, but once the fairing is on, you can't see that it's mounted to the side.

I'll let you in on a secret too. Bicycles are lopsided! Gokarts too are almost universally lopsided.

Importantly, the motors CG is only 2-3 inches away from the center-line of the bike. And the bike is 20-30lbs as is. So the total CG offset is only an inch or so. When balancing the bike, it was hard to tell it had any lean at all. Of course, if someone shows up with a 12lb BMX bike, that offset is going to be a bit greater. :)

Wait an see. :) Wait.. and see me dragging fairing in a parking lot.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
How are bicycles lopsided? Because of the chain? I been riding 20" wheels since 1988 and I ride with no hands eVeRyWhErE. What are you talking about? I turn corners and can stop with no hands so I really would like to know what it is you mean.

And we aren't talking about go karts.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I would be more than ecstatic to try out the first mount. I'm short and dislike riding 24" wheels or bigger. So I'm converting an 80's kick scooter into a motorized bicycle. I'm all about this idea nero.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If I ever get around to it, maybe this weekend, then I'm going to build this to be my motorized BMX, after doing this I don't think I'll be considering putting a strand mat fairing or a crappy time on it lol!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
You got a PM coming after the 1st 16v. That looks straight up sickening! You gonna make me buy the tanaka 40cc engine as well. Going to look at my frames now.....

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The thing I'm looking forward to the most is the simplicity, and the warranty on the engine. I plan on using my BMX more than the chopper for these reasons, it will be a nice reliable simple ride.

nerobro

Dec 13, 2009
Chicagoland
Chain, sprocket, shifters are all on one side of the bike. Depending on the quality of the bike, that could be 5lbs of gear, all set on one side of a 20lb bike. with a BMX bike that's as little as a pound's worth of stuff. On a cheap road bike, it could be five pounds worth of stuff.

Motorcycles are lopsided too. Many driveshaft driven bikes have the rear wheel offset as much as 3/4" to make the bike "look" more even. The shaft drive, and bevel drives are a lot heavier than the chains.

The point I'm making, it that it doesn't really matter. :)

Riding no handed really doesn't relate, at all. These bikes will run just fine no handed. The only time they'd do anything "different" is that they'll make a gentle right turn if you set the throttle high and let the thing go without a rider.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I'm not trying to clown you here,but good luck riding with no hands with your feet on the pegs.

And if you put the engine in the frame and run the chain to the non drive side it will help to balance the bike.

Right?

nerobro

Dec 13, 2009
Chicagoland
The engine won't fit in the frame.

Balancing the bike won't be an issue. Even with 15lbs of motor hanging of the side, the bikes CG only moved ~2 inches.

I think I'm done until I can post some videos. Or you read the blog post. I don't know how we got three pages in and people still thought the rider would be using pedals...

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
And we talking bmx. No shifters in bmx that I've heard of. Bmx is single speed. And with no pedals,how do you start off the line? Top of the ramp start? The engine you have in that picture isn't designed to be started from a dead stop. I'm not willing to ruin clutches to race a bike I can not ride on the streets. Practice at the track only?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I can do the Team America secret signal no handed while riding my chopper, lol. That has to do with the gyroscopic stability of the wheels at speed.

I'm adding my input to this thread because I think it would be sad to see another spec class built off of compromised machinery. If you're going to use a BMX, and bicycle motors don't fit on it, then why even try using a (highly disregarded as unreliable) bicycle motor, when you can use a pocket bike, chainsaw, or lawn equipment engine and have something that is actually worth the effort.

My X-Games BMX is going to have the front pegs moved to the bottom bracket in place of pegs for cost reasons, but a SBP long crank axle would make functional pedals work fine. X1/X2 Pocket bike/aka 52cc auger engines hooked to a 33:1 box will have enough torque to start from a stop even geared for 30 mph, and I'm saving a front sprocket to gear the chain 1:1 for trials and dirt jumps at 18mph max as well, as easy as changing a freewheel sprocket on the trans output and the chain.

Part of what draws new drivers to the auto racing I help support is the awe inspiring machinery, if the motor doesn't fit, use a better one that does!!!

Last edited: