Cheap and easy headlight idea

GoldenMotor.com

jjstanza

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Here is my cheap and easy headlight idea. I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a 2 pack of 3-1/2" Nine LED Flashlights on sale for $2. I have found that ¾ emt electrical conduit holders just about fit around the body of the flashlight. Then I retrieved a piece of sturdy flat stock about 6" in length. Drill 2 holes in the flat stock. One small as the diameter of the holes in the emt holders and one hole as big as needed to mount on bike. I used the bolt on the stem of my handle bars. Then I placed the flat stock in a vice bent about a 45 degree angle on the end with the bigger hole in it. Then I twisted it so one end is horizontal and the other is vertical.(see pictures) Put the emt holders around each flashlight and secure to the small end of the flat stock. Bolt assembly to bike, adjust and go. They are not the brightest thing I have ever used but they help make me visible to others which plays a key role in not getting run over. Took about 15 minutes and works great.

Attachments

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
i used the very same lights but i run them off of my engines white wire, just a few capacitors, 4 diodes and a voltage regulator, about 15 bucks all together.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Its probably a black wire on a weedwhacker, maybe red. The wire will produce a current, on/off/on as fast as the engine cycles. if it is grounded to the frame/block, it shorts the engine spark and without spark, or weak spark, the engine dies.

I don't have an engine wire to use, I ride a friction drive Weed Whacker.

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
i used the very same lights but i run them off of my engines white wire, just a few capacitors, 4 diodes and a voltage regulator, about 15 bucks all together.
what was the value of the caps u used all i did was to gut the flash lights for the bulbs and ran them perrialell i get about 3 months out of the bulbszp

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
well they still blink at lower rpms... i think a torroid might help this, but i used 2 2200 micro farad caps before the regulators, and a 4700 after for both, that got rid of most of the blinking.