Briggs and Stratton worth re-building?

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I have been offered a 6hp OHV horizontal shaft Briggs for free. It is currently a portable generator. I am told that the engine is seized. Is it worth it to re-build it, or just buy one that runs?
Thanks!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If it were mine and I have the time while between jobs, I would just take it apart and not spend anything on parts till I knew how bad it is.

A stuck rusted in place valve on an engine I have fixed without even replacing a sleeve. Lots of penetrating fluid and finally a vise grip on the valve pulling up and a screw driver under the stem prying it up and out. Lapped in a new valve and it ran great. Sometimes valve cutting to get the angles back on the valves and valve seats are necessary. I found a shop that did the two valves for $20 when I needed that. I had it apart for them.

This one you have I am not sure if seized means the piston in the cylinder. I have no experience on fixing that, but would check on the internet on how people fix them and learn.

I guess if the piston is removed and there is too thin a wall to bore and hone smooth the cylinder wall, then unless it has a replaceable sleeve it would be some possible spare parts to store away.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Like Maniac57 said free.

Parts is Parts. I just have to draw the line as the pack rat in me could be a problem. But I have a 6.5hp vertical shaft engine form a thrown out mower I pan to make a hover craft from when I get time for it. Finishing the motor bike first.

But yea free!

MT

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Am not sure about the newer engines but the older Generator & water pump engines were more service duty, had heavy bearings and things to make them run a long time. If thats the case it might be worth rebuilding. Snort (port )it out and make it thump....AGK has poformance parts ......Curt

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
The quick version: Got the engine- it was frozen, no amount of pulling on the cord had any effect. Took the head off (re-installed at 25 foot lbs) the ring had spread and dug into the cylinder wall. I used a wood block and pounded the piston loose. Scraped, filed and sanded cylinder damage, and lubed wall with oil. Cleaned piston head. Changed fuel line, cleaned and gapped plug, changed the oil.
And son of a gun... it runs. Strong and steady for 10 minutes X 3. Honestly I'm expecting it to seize at any moment. But if it doesn't...dance1

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Interesting that you got it running. If you did not buy new rings and use a cylinder hone, that you might do if it looks like a smokey exhaust, could be done later.

Cheers!

MT

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
I have been offered a 6hp OHV horizontal shaft Briggs for free. It is currently a portable generator. I am told that the engine is seized. Is it worth it to re-build it, or just buy one that runs?
Thanks!
My philosophy is; anything that someone doesn't want because they don't want to fix it is my treasure.

A seized engine on a small motor is usually a broken rod, which on a Briggs could be an aluminum rod and cap. These don't cost much and you will be doing yourself a favor in taking it apart and learning how it is put together.

Free is good!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm a Briggs nut, but if the parts to rebuild correctly cost more than $100, I would go for the HF 6.5hp motor at about that price and brand new. Sounds like your cylinder won't last long without being way down on power and or smoking heavily. Also Generator motors often have a special crankshaft that has no provision for a clutch (like a keyway) and don't want to separate from the armature easily. Although, the footprint, base and mounting measurements and crank position will be the same as the HF motors as well as Hondas, etc. So it would make a great mock up motor for a bike project and you could run it as long as it lasted before swapping out with a good one. You can overcome the crank problem if it's a common diameter by drilling a hole in the side of if for the clutch set screw, or filing a flat for the same. Free engines are always a treat. Good luck.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
With the right big machine you can get a keway cut. I have a 8hp off a waterpump with threads on te shaft. they just put the hole engine in the milling machine and cut the keway, didn't take long ...............Curt

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Ran it for a couple hours today to power drills and saws. Sounds right, doesn't smoke but it does smell sweet. As bad as the cylinder wall was, I can't believe it runs just fine. It's going to the job site tomorrow morning. I gave it back to the guy, he could use another generator right now. I told him it could stop working at any minute, and good luck!