Need design idea. . .Ammo Gas Can

GoldenMotor.com
I want to convert a military surplus ammo can into an extended gas tank.

I see 2 ways of doing this. Either putting a 1 gal gas tank into it and use it as a cover, OR make the whole can as a fuel reserve.

Either way I want to keep the lid intact. Not sure if the stock seals are fuel resistant or not. Not sure how to test either without just soaking one in gas.

If the seals are gas resistant that would be perfect, just drill holes for the line to the carb and fit a T to the stock gas tank line, with a petcock below it going into the carb.

Anyone have experience with this, either working or failed?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I'm in the process of doing a standard plastic gas can into a tank.

I got - and I'd suggest the same to you - marine quick disconnect petcocks. When it's clipped in, it's flowing. When it's clipped off - nothing flows, from EITHER hose.

I'm just going to use washers and some gasket material to back it so it grabs tight to the plastic, then run it into a T.

Of course, my purpose isn't for looks, but for function. This way I can mix on the go - but also ride right out of the can. I can also have a lean mix in the tank, and a rich mix in the can for long trips.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
In my experiance with ammo cans only about half seal when shut?
We found one tied to a morring chain that had been under water for four years ,others leak as soon as there wett.
If you made a "blank" to fit the I.D. Of box and found a fuel safe sealer I don't see why it wouldn't work . You may want to add a dimple to bottom of can to allow it to drain all the way .
Various guys in our club have used them for front and rear bags ,tool boxs and batt. Boxs, but haven't made one a fuel cell yet . Good luck post some pics when you get a chance.

That gas tank repair stuff looks like it might fit the ticket.

What I am considering is making an metal "z shaped" inner lid to contain the gas. Reason for the shape is so I can attach a gas cap to the inner piece.

Something like this, with the gas cap welded into the lower section. Then use the gas tank sealer to make a lip that the lid sits on and once cured make a seal on the top side.

/
/
/
/
|-------\_A_|
| |
| |
|_________|

I have 2 sizes of ammo boxes right now. the large one has an inner size of 668.9 cubic inches, the smaller is 423.5. If I did the math right that is 2.89 and 1.83 gallons minus the space taken up by the inner lid. Can't decide what size to go with lol.

Around town and maybe to the next town over, which is only 30 miles. I just like the idea of not having to fill my 1 gallon gas can every 5-8 days.

Problem is, if I mount the ammo can on the rack then I use up my crate space I use to haul tools.

I'm considering a half and half solution. Turn the back half of the ammo can into a gas tank, and the front half for tool storage. Probably go with a drop-in gas tank.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Ammo cans actually do seal completely - the only thing is the seal I doubt is gas resistant.

I have always been a fan of ammo can saddle bags though, maybe that for your tools?

If the seal is good, I know they can be water tight, but I haven't found anything that makes me believe they are gas proof.

I considered the ammo cans as saddle bags, but don't know if I want the weight of 3 ammo cans on my bike plus weight of the fuel plus all the gear I could put in the 2 smaller ammo cans.

If I could split the larger one into 2 compartments, half for gas other for tools, I think that would be the best of both worlds.