brake switch

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not understanding. The switch pictured is activated by the clutch. How is it serving as a brake switch? Just curious, I'm not trying to put you down :)
Tom

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Oh my, this is brilliant. I don't know why I hadn't thought of using the clutch to actuate the light switch! Typically, I want to signal whenever I'm using the clutch, so why not =)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I can't help but respect the DIY ingenuity (^)

However, I thought I should mention that moped levers often suitable & include internal brake light switches, sometimes even threaded for mirrors... yet it's true they're often a lil large/cluttered for MB use. There is however a growing availability of bicycle brake levers with integral switches, they're often used for ebikes that employ regenerative braking & can be had quite inexpensively, this set is about $12;

brake lever set w/switches

Ofc a lil shopping around might turn up something better or w/e - I jus' happen to have a set of the above & they're pretty good :)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea, I can sympathize lol - I've not seen such with the "dual pull" (two cables one lever) option, but I'm keepin' an eye out as I'm building a tadpole - as it obv has two front wheels, I'd like a lever that'd handle 'em both yet still has the switch...

Prolly gonna hafta cob somethin' myself tho...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Proctor,
The problem I see with your idea is it's going to be a real pant leg catcher.
The brake lever with the built is switch won't clutter the handlebars. It would just replace your existing brake lever, front or rear. One extra wire won't cause much clutter.

You could also try mounting that push button so it is activated by the brakes. A small micro switch works great and is easily hidden. Just a suggestion.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
nice thinking 2door i have s**t loads of micro switchs in the shop i got my lag one's but i really do like the micro switch thanks
Here's a photo of how I mounted a micro-switch activated by the rear 'V' brakes.
There's a little arm on the cable that hits the button on the switch when I apply the brakes.
Tom

Attachments

HackMATTr

May 22, 2011
USA
I used a snap action switch for my brake light switch. When I pull the brake handle, the switch is pressed by the brake assembly on the rear tire and the LED Bar I have becomes brighter and flashes due to the module I wired into it. When I release the brakes, the LED bar goes back to a running light. I used a Pelican case as a battery box and it is hooked to the side of my luggage rack as a "Saddle Bag". The battery I used is a 6v Gel that is charged with a solar panel during the day. The whole system has a "kill" switch attached to the side of the Pelican box.

I Plan to Have an Instructable up about building this system in the next couple days.