I so want this motor

GoldenMotor.com

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I have a good friend with a couple of their marine version in his boats. He also has that version in a 5th scale rc. They are cool, but the amount of RPM they need to make power, makes them kind of useless on a bicycle. There really isn't much usable torque.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Look around and you'll find some really attractive model airplane/boat engines. Only problem is they don't produce the torque needed for a bike application. Their power band is so high in the rpm scale that you'd have to gear so low your top speed might be in the single digits :) Pretty, but not practical.

Tom

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hmmmm........might be able to spin a prop for one of them fly'n contraptions with pedals.......cptr.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I was wanting one for a possible racing bike in the future, but now I'm not so sure since I'm selling a bike due to its noise levels. At $800-900 for the running engine with exhaust and gearbox, it seems like it might be a really fun short lived waste of money. It based on Zenoah construction, so it should be a reliable motor if not overstressed, start doing hill climbs or racing it hard and I think all bets are off with such a tiny motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PilPJ0cBQ

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a good friend with a couple of their marine version in his boats. He also has that version in a 5th scale rc. They are cool, but the amount of RPM they need to make power, makes them kind of useless on a bicycle. There really isn't much usable torque.
Does your friend's engine have a 76mm centrifugal clutch?

If it does, and has the standard 4-bolt bellhousing, it will bolt onto any drivetrain used by contemporary engines, such as Stxxxn, GEBE, 3:1 and 5:1 goped/pocket bike engines.

High-rpm r/c engines CAN be tamed and harnessed to bicycles. I ran a few 4.5hp CY460 engines on my motorized bicycles. They had excellent roadside manners @ any speed @ idling,low/middle/high speed. The key is the 76mm clutch & bellhousing, silencing the exhaust and throttle connection. When geared properly, r/c engines are as docile as any other motor bicycle engine. When suited to an SBP China Girl high performance exhaust, the 460 engine becomes VERY quiet @ any rpm. I swear I could hear the piston ring acraping the cylinder @ idle speed. At high rpm, it reminded me of late-model crotch rocket engines. You can hear the pocket bike transmission over the exhaust.

Anyone know the optimum torque & hp rpm range of this engine?

Last edited: