4 Stroke Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

surfer101

Sep 7, 2009
Venice Fl
I'm a newbie to this forum and have found some very useful information. I recently installed a 2 cycle kit and it works really well. The ability to jump start the engine is a neat feature. I'm wondering why a similar clutch set-up doesn't seem to be available with a 4 stroke engine? I'm riding with some friends who have 4 stroke rope start engines and I seem to have a better starting system while they enjoy a much smoother ride. Will appreciate any answers

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I think the simple answer to your question has to do with the engine design.The inexpensive Chinese 2-stroke motors are purpose built to be mounted into a bicycle frame and used accordingly. The motors used in the 4-stroke kits are commercial/industrial small engines designed to be used in a varity of installations on generators, on lawn and garden equipment, etc. The use of these engines on bicycles probably was never a consideration. The type of clutch you have on the 2-stroke is not available for the up right 4-strokes. You could probably? bump start a 4-stroke with the EZ Motorbike Silent Drive (tensioned belt drive system) But I don't have first hand experience with this, perhaps one of the folks who have one of these kits will chime in and comment on this? Another example of a tensioned belt drivetrain would be the Whizzer, and they are a bump-start 4-stroke application.

ocscully

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
my EZM bump starts at 3-4 mph...great when pedalling away from dropping the kids at school
(I pedal on the sidewalk, and power once I am on pavement :))

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
With a friction setup and the honda motor you just pedal from a stand still your purring after just a few feet. (daily reminder! turn kill switch on or theres no purr!)