engine from tsunami bike

GoldenMotor.com

nodar

Jun 27, 2009
dartmouth , NS
Hi, the engine I have is from a company in toronto called tsunami bike in Toronto. it's a chinese engine, a bit of a no name thing. I'm just learning about engines so the problem I'm having is properly setting up the carborator. On mine there is a lever that is just behind the air intake and a screw opposite the fuel line. Can I reasonably assume the lever is some sort of choke and that the screw is the needle? Assuming that this is correct, the choke is on until the engine is warmed up? Also how do I figure out the proper needle setting (this controls air/gas mix?) do I screw it all the way in and back it out until it runs smoother?

much thanks if you can help me out.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi nodar...

I have the same Tsunami engine as you, great bit of kit if your nice to it...lol

Yes the lever your seeing is the choke lever, lever up for full choke. Mine likes to be choked on cold starts and once it's running I idle with half to no choke until the engine warms up and will take throttle input without hesitating. The screw you mention is the idle speed screw, it does nothing except adjust the opening of the throttle slide. To adjust your idle speed start and bring your engine up to operating temp then adjust the idle screw in or out until you get a nice smooth idle...you want your idle rpm's not too high, not too low.

nodar

Jun 27, 2009
dartmouth , NS
hey fellas,

I don't hear any noticable chance in idle speed whether the screw is in all the way or as I back it off. The engine runs fastest and with more guts when choke lever is down all the way or about half up. It has no guts or pull when the choke lever is up. I suppose I should assume the engine likes to run on the lean side? If I have the recommended mix of 20:1 gas/oil is there any damage done to the engine if I run it leaner (lever full down) or should I try to run it with the choke on slightly to give more fuel in the mix?

thanks. I hope this is making sense.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
For normal operation the choke should be off (lever down) after the engine is up to operating temp. Trying to run with it on (lever up) all the time is just going to foul spark plugs and make your life miserable. I don't quite get why you don't notice an rpm change when you adjusted the idle screw. One possibility is that your throttle cable is not adjusted properly, ie: too tight. You can adjust the slack in the throttle cable where it exits the twist grip and where it enters the carburetor. There are other possibles with regards to no rpm change when idle speed screw is turned but I'm going with throttle cable adjustment thought for now. Please check the 2 adjustment locations I mentioned and as well make sure your throttle cable routing is not causing excessive tautness.

nodar

Jun 27, 2009
dartmouth , NS
that may be it then, I do have the throttle cable tight. I tightened it a little to keep the engine from stalling out when idling. But I assume now from what you say that it is the idle screw that will set up the engine to keep from stalling. I'm back home from work next week and I can try to let off the throtle and play with the screw.

thanks