GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a 26" scwhinn del mar cruiser, single speed
48cc dualstart starfire gt-2 grubee 44tsprocket , gas tank on rear rack
engine is mounted high on frame to clear peddals, i am using stock tensioner
i am using 2 master links on chain

i took my bike for a ride,the muffler gasket blew out and the bike ran faster and better but too loud,i went home and replaced gasket,i took it out for another ride sometimes at speeds of to 35mph and i heard a noise: ting wack bang ting boom ting wack,i pulled in the clutch and hit the off button and pulled over and i saw that the master link on my chain broke and chain stuck into clutch cover on left side of engine,i draped the chain over frame of bike and with clutch pulled in i peddaled home.
now i have to take cover off and get the stuck chain off.
i dont think its a regualar bicycle chain.

i dont know what size chain or master link i have,how can you tell?
im going to try and use 1 master link and a shorter chain if it still fits,if not i'll need a master link or a new chain.i might have to take off the tensioner. any help will be apprciated...

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
it might be a 415 chain that is the size chain i got with my kit. you can get a master link at a bicycle store they should have them, i bought a dozen master links for like 99cents each

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i got the chain unstuck and had to remove about 4 links (2 3/4" long).
i have 1 master link now,the other one broke and lost pieces.
i might have to remove the tensioner.

im now trying to put chain back on,any ideas are welcome.

chain is too short now so i have to either get another master link and run with 2 again or buy a new chain.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Cabin just make sure when you put the locking clip on the master link/s that the closed end is facing the direction of the chain travel. Like when the Master link comes around the rear sprocket to the top the closed end of the clip is to the motor. That way if it ticks anything it's pushing it on not off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i got the chain unstuck and had to remove about 4 links (2 3/4" long).
i have 1 master link now,the other one broke and lost pieces.
i might have to remove the tensioner.

im now trying to put chain back on,any ideas are welcome.

chain is too short now so i have to either get another master link and run with 2 again or buy a new chain.
CF,
You won't find the same chain anywhere but from some of the advertisers here. It is a weird size, #415 and standard master or 1/2 links won't fit it. Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply and Grainger, to name a few sell industrial #41 chain that will fit your sprockets and is a higher quality chain than the Chinese gave you in the kit. Most places sell it in ten foot lenghts, enough for a couple of bikes. I think you'll be pleased with the quality over the kit supplied chain. Oh, and the places I mentioned also have master and 1/2 links for the #41 chain.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thanks everyone,at walmart i found the 415 chain with master link for $7(not long enough for a cruiser,but good if you add 2 chains together or just need some extra links) and i bought a chain breaker with master link for $5.

i just needed the master links anyway,i put the chain in my parts box.
i used the breaker like 3 times and it works great(i know it might not last long for other people,but it looks strong too me).

and by the way i cant slide the wheel back all the way on the cruiser because it rubs the small bolts on the fender so i have to leave some space between them.

Last edited: