New full suspension build

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I'm also looking forward to a full supension build. I still plan to use an in-frame engine from Manic Mechanic with a shifter kit and internal gear hub. Problem is - I can't find anybody who can build a steel frame like this. And using leaf spring instead of carbon chain stays. If there is someone here who can build frames like this. Just send me a PM... Thanks...

Attachments

sdol

Jun 16, 2009
Orange County,Ca
I'm also looking forward to a full supension build. I still plan to use an in-frame engine from Manic Mechanic with a shifter kit and internal gear hub. Problem is - I can't find anybody who can build a steel frame like this. And using leaf spring instead of carbon chain stays. If there is someone here who can build frames like this. Just send me a PM... Thanks...
Look for a GT LTS 4 or 5 from the mid to late 90's They were a steel front triangle and aluminum rear triangle very similar to the frame you have linked to above. They also made the same frame in aluminum as well. I'd provide a link to a photo but it's not allowed in my current status.

sdol

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
With luck here are some photos of similar bikes The first one is an AL GT LTS and the Second is a Steel Specialized FSR Giant also made a Steel Frame full suspension frameset about this time Mid 90's that would work for frame mounting as well.

ocscully

Attachments

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I decided to buy a bike with all the suspension done. My second one works great with just front suspension.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thats looks like a cool project check out Neat Times post he did some CVT rear mount builds. I do enjoy watching these builds go up!

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Thats looks like a cool project check out Neat Times post he did some CVT rear mount builds. I do enjoy watching these builds go up!
Thanks g h,
I'm so anxious myself to get started. I just got the transmission tonight. I have so many projects to finish before I can start. I have about 3 weeks 'til the bike, motor etc. arrives.
Neet Times really motivated this build.
Hope all the other projects are done and out of the way. This build will hopefully give acceleration, cruising, and more comfort.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Most all the components are here. The bike came with a bent rear wheel and hole in the tube.
That's fixed now.
Picked up a small trailer fender to make the engine- trans mount. Also some angle steel for braces.
My biggest challenge is how to make 2 freewheels to run the right drive on the wheel. I got an extra wheel and may use the old hub to cut off and weld an extra set of threads on the wheel to hold the 2nd freewheel.
Want to use the chinese gas tank painted to match.

Attachments

Last edited:

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I Found The Pipe On Ebay Only 11.99. Thank You For Writing Me Back To Let Me Know What It Was From.
Hope you have success with it. I started using the pocket bike engines rather than the china girl engines for better performance. The pipe is thick enough to cut and re-weld easily.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Working on the double drive right side challenge. Found a freewheel with a bike sprocket for 1 freewheel. Don't need multiple gears for the motorbike pedals. took an old wheel and removed the hub. Then machined down the old hub with the threads. Notched the end so it matched with the 4- way on the new freewheel. Machined the hub at the end so a bearing could be inserted for more support.
Another freewheel with sprocket installed on the 2nd one. All spaced and preloaded the wheel was fitted on the bike. The gear changers were removed and won't be needed. The chain was fixed with a re-linker.
Next: motor mounting.
Tank painted to match the bike.

Attachments

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Finally got it running this weekend. Other than a bad sparkplug, the engine runs great.
Almost made it around the block then something broke in the drive sprocket. Back to the wheel again.
Hope I can figure it out so I can finish it.

Attachments

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Had a bearing failure and couldn't find one the right size. Now without a lathe, need to fabricate a bushing to fit with my hammer and chisel.
This has been the loneliest thread, Maybe I'm doing something wrong?