problems with idle and muffler

GoldenMotor.com

jmanl16

May 22, 2009
North Olmsted, OH
I just finished my first build. An 80cc (I know it's only like 66, but whatever) boygofast kit.

The thing starts right up without the choke on and it seems to run ok although I'm not trying to push it because I want to follow the break in period. There seems to be two problems however...

1) I cannot get the thing to idle correctly, even with the idle screw all the way in.
2) There seems to be a dark almost oil like substance coming out of the muffler.

I tried to seal the connection between the carb and motor as best I could, I think I might have an air leak somewhere else though. Could an air leak cause those problems? If so, where could it be?

thanks in advance.

ps i can get some pics of the bike if needed...

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
What ratio are you using? If there is too much oil, it could come out the exhaust.
Setting the idle screw is kind of easy to do. It is usually set good at about 4-4 1/2 turns in. This is in from just getting the threads to catch, then turning a full turn, 4-4 1/2 turns. Some carbs need more turns in and some need less.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the oil coming out of the tail end of the muffler will happen if you have a black oil stuff oozing out around the exhaust port/muffler connection that is the gasket leaking.
The black scourge where it is coming from is a sign of a gasket leaking.
the carbs flange is bad for leaks the slots cut in the flange of the carb seem to be sometimes hard to get it to seal as they are cut too deep silicone is the only thing I know of to get it to seal o rings in my opinion can get loose and go through the engine.
spraying carb cleaner around the flanges / gaskets if it leaking will cause the engine to either speed up or slow down or die.
Norman
my black dumpster special is throwing a fit now I changed handle bars and it idling weirdly slows down when on the side stand stand it up straight and it speeds up I can move the handle bars from side to side and it does not affect the idle either on or off the stand so I'm on a leak hunt on that bike. these bikes will act like a 2 year old sometimes bull headed ornery thing.zpt

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
sealing the carby is one important task!

can you describe your iddle? does it accel on iddle, does it die slowly.......ones the air leak is resolved youll probably want to experiment with "the needle" inside the carb.

jmanl16

May 22, 2009
North Olmsted, OH
When I am moving, with no acceleration, the engine is fine, but as soon as I pull the clutch to slow down and stop, the engine just dies. If I screw the idle screw all the way in, it will idle for like maybe 10 seconds and then just die. It seems that it's needing to have that slide in the carb way too high in order to idle. Does that mean I have an air leak? Also, could too rich a mixture also cause that? I am using 16:1 right now, but it might be a little bit richer than that, it was approximate. Thanks.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well you could use 16:1 but i think you had it lower than that so i said 20:1 thinking that now you might end up at 16:1 either one will be find,not much diffrence.
i think you will have to move the c-clip on your carb slide.

jmanl16

May 22, 2009
North Olmsted, OH
attached is a picture of my idle screw. That is the only place the idle screw can be to idle. If i try to unscrew the idle screw any more, it dies. Is this a normal place for the idle screw to be in order for the bike to idle or should it be farther out? Thanks. It does die when it's idleing and i move the choke up which i heard from someone else that that means I don't have an air leak, but I don't really know to tell you the truth.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Attachments

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Jman...is the bike starting and running...what are the simptoms...screw your idle screw in all the way and turn it back two turns...when you pull in the clutch does the bike move freely...when you let the cluch out can you move it still...again, is the trottle working freely...sometimes it works freely but the washer that goes on top of the needle is cocked...check it...take of the trootle cover and look down the cylinder...the trottle cable should be in the slot of the washer...what kind of bike? Has the bike started and run?...is it still running...answer these ?s...I'll bet its something stupid...and easy...get back to me...Dennis...oh and let me know about the wiring...

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
also if you need a great exhaust gasket, check out manic mechanic, he has copper gaskets...no permitex...just add the gasket...IS THE BIKE UP AND RUNNING>>>I hope so..and let us know so we can learn from your problems...Thank You...Dennis

jmanl16

May 22, 2009
North Olmsted, OH
The bike is up and running, yes. And the idle does work, the idle screw just has to be screwed in pretty far, which I'm guessing is ok. Everything else seems to be working just fine now. Thanks for the help and if I have any more problems or questions, I'm sure you'll hear from me. :)

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
good for you...dont forget...after every ride take 30 seconds and check your exhaust,intake and both motormount nuts...with a number 10 wrench...keep it snugg...have fun...Dennis

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
you can set the idle with the adjustment on the top of the carb where the throttle cable goes in, loosen the set nut and then screw the cable out a little it is a trail and error but easy to do