Dave's Hot Rod Velocar

GoldenMotor.com

RU12

Jul 6, 2013
In a box
Here a some pictures of my friend Mike helping me notch the ends of the tubes.

It turns out that the hole saw when drilling steel needs to be spun at a maximum of 275 rpm. The new hole saw I bought came with instructions with the cutting speeds.

My cheap drill press is not able to be slowed down to the correct speed so I had to ask Mike if I could use his drill press.

Cheers,
Dave.
Ummmmmm sounds like a stupid question, but cooling the teeth with copious amounts of say, oil mixed the kerosene, or emusified cutting oil mixed with water, can really keep the teeth temperature down - that and a kind of moderately light feed rate.....

Some of the teeth of these cutters are high carbon steel, and others are high speed steel.

The cheapies tend to be the high carbon steels, which soften and go blunt above about 290*C...

Where as the high speed steels, reach their typical hot hardness at around 720*C (bit vauge on this.. long time since I have viewed the average specifications for the general crop of HSS)

Either way copious cooling and light feed rates, will enable you to cut well and for a long time, where low speeds are not available - up to a point.

Intermittent cutting - one second in and one second out also helps...

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Chain,
I heard from Dave some time ago when we were sending PM's back and forth and he mentioned that he had a health issue that he had to take care of and would have to mothball the project until he felt better.

I haven't heard from him since though I've contacted him a couple of times since.

Steve.