What rear cassette gears w/ shift kit?

GoldenMotor.com

richie92cb7

Aug 9, 2011
FL
I am in the process of building a mb. The frame I'm using is a older 4130 gt all terra 26" . I plan On using an "80" cc china kit and sbp shift kit. So I got my new wheels and they have shimano hubs. My question is, what rear 8 or 9 speed rear cassette gear combos work well with the shift kit? I have found sets of 34t-11t to 26t-12t. I imagine that you could have custom sets made too, but I don't know. The front cranks and chain wheels are in the shift kit and have a reduction I'm unaware of. I cant find information on what the kit includes for the crank chain wheels. Anyway, what typically works well for the rear gears with a shift kit and china mill? thanks, Rich

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I run a Tanaka 47R engine with shift kit and 8-speed cassette. The rear gears are 11t-34t; these work well enough for me. No custom cassette needed, and I normally skip every other gear. I shift from 1st to third to fifth to seventh. I'll use second gear when accelerating from a rolling stop.My first gear is 37.09:1. This gear is excellent for climbing steep parking structure ramps, or when gridlocked on steep hills. If I could have even steeper gears, I'd use them.

Your 80cc engine has built-in gear reduction...4.1:1, I believe.

Engine sprocket is 10 tooth; with a 17t jackshaft sprocket, that's 1.7:1.
Multiply that with 4.1 to get 6.97:1.

Using a 9t jackshaft gear and a 44t chainring sprocket, that ratio is 4.888;1.
Multiply that to 6.97 equals 34.069:1.

Using a 30t chainring sprocket and a 34t first gear, you get 1.1333:1. Multiply that to 34.069 equals 38.61:1.

First gear will be excellent for climbing very steep hills and ramps. It is akin to using a Happy Time single rear sprocket of 94 teeth.

Sixth gear relates to a 47t sprocket.

Seventh gear is like a 36t sprocket.

Eighth gear likens to a 30-tooth rear sprocket.

Even though you might have flat roads with no hills, stiff gearing will also help traverse steep driveways.

My friend Hawaii Ed uses a similar 80cc combination. He also uses the HD freewheel and added welded gusset for bracing the shift kit bracket.