HF Qmatic in modern Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Here are the pics! The first is Quenton's lovely signature
The second is the engine hooked up with the transmission, without the cover. You can also sorta see the plug wire setup in this pic. I got napa plug wire,a silicone boot, and a good quality cap!
The third pic is of the two suzuki coils, fourth is of the replacement starter I got for my engine. Thank you to the people in the HF of Berlin CT for being so nice! And last is a picture of the C83 spring, which puts enough tension on the throttle mechanism on the carb that it returns all the way to idle, which is what I wanted all along. Lastly, A thanks to Jay and Quenton for the transmission on this build. Quenton is clearly a craftsman with an excellent understanding of what he is doing. Jay is a great guy to work with, and I highly recommend him as an EZ dealer!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I just took EVERYTHING off of it. I just left the slotted shaft with the pin through it, that's it :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, when you look at the 4 stroke section it seems that GREYHOUND FEVER has broken out :D These little workhorses sure are gettin everyone's attention. Yesterday I was home from college for the weekend, and I put enough of the bike back together that I could start figuring out how to mount the silly engine The mounting "blocks" made of cast iron can still be used, but I figured from the start that the plate would need to be replaced. I got some 16ga steel at the hardware store the other day, got out my cutoff wheel, and made the blank for my new plate. I left my dad with instructions and someone at work is going to use the sheetmetal brake to give me perfect bends :) I'll keep you updated as I go :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Don't make fun of me, I'm doing the best I can :p My dad got the metal bent for my engine mount finally, but I've been working hard at college. Peace
-LS

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Well, when you look at the 4 stroke section it seems that GREYHOUND FEVER has broken out :D
It started back in 2009 for me. That's when everyone said you couldn't put one of these engines in a bike. They said the engine was too big but they were wrong and I'm glad they were. hehe

Attachments

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Ok guys. I'm home from college for the summer, YAY!, and finally working on this project again. I have my new mounting plate bent, and I have to adjust the angle that one of the mounts sits with some JB water weld so that it sits level. I bought a modus adapter today and I can't wait to finish this project up so I can get riding. The help I need from one of you nice gents is a 56 tooth china steel sprocket. I can't find them for a convenient cost or paying method and was wondering if any of you good fellows could shoot me a good deal on a 56 you just aren't using. Thanks
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks Bill, yeah, you have no idea. College allowed me to discover the depth of the hatred I can feel toward other people, if I had been there til June 24 like the high school, I would have gone insane :oops:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Alright guys, new stuff! I visited pirate cycles's retail shop today and it was AWESOME. You really need to see it for yourselves if you can! It's just so cool! I got a springer fork with v brake mounts, a single bulb headlight that I'm gonna mod to take a 9 led bulb, and another dual pull brake lever! This was a good day. Then on the way back I stopped at a military store and got a dogtag made for the bike, a nice army sticker as a headbadge, and a clip with 8 deactivated bullets that I'll mount somewhere on the bike. my plan for fuel is to tap some petcocks into the bottoms of 2 1 quart aluminum canteens and mount them somewhere on the bike. It will be much sleeker than having an ugly china gas tank. I got some military straps to hold the canteens down. I'll keep you posted. Peace
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Ok, here are pics of the neat stuff I got in the past few days. Most of it is for this build, though I did get the pirate cycle stickers for the 2 stroke build. The first picture has a clip of deactivated ammo for an M1 garand and a string of 4 dummy rounds for the M51 karac, some kind of eastern european machine gun. (they aren't american, but they will look cool on the bike). The sticker in the picture is gonna be my new headbadge and the patches will probably go on a riding jacket. I decided that I am drifting away from this being a 1942 WLA knockoff, and instead making it a general tribute to the U.S. military to show my appreciation and pride. Next pic is of the 2 WWII canteens making a total of 1/2 gallon of storage that I will use as my gas tanks. I found a shovel cover from 1944 that apparently belonged to a guy named Hogan, and although the shop didn't have any WWII shovels, I got one that has sand stuck in it so it is probably form Afghanistan or Iraq. The tool roll I though looked pretty cool, and it is also dated 1945. It has "fungus proofed" stamped on the inside which I like. The other pouch will be storage for tools and other small useful objects. I'm gonna find a way to mount this all to the bike somehow. Almost forgot, I have the beautiful springer with the canti mounts and that nice headlight. A heavy bike chain and lock and some stickers complete what I got. Can't wait to get all of this stuff on to the bike!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Thanks guys :) I gotta fix my scooter tomorrow so I can sell it, but after that I can get to work on this bike!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
New info and pictures on the build

Alrighty men, well now that I have completed my smelly 2 stroke it is back to this lovely creature. I got my pullstart painted since the last time I wrote, but did not take a picture of that because I'm sure you know what it looks like. I'm gonna start working on making up some stencils for lettering and labeling on various parts of the bike soon. You know, I want to do things like make the pullstart say "A-50" (a little numerical deception, lol) and put things like "HOT" and "U.S. ARMY" all over the bike. I'll get to that soon. Today I went to my LBS and got some appropriately sized and pretty aluminum washers that were perfect for getting my springer installed. I cut the tube to the proper length on top as was necessary and I added the brake calipers before I put in the wheel because it would have been impossible to do so after installing the wheel. Everything went together well and feels nice so far :). I have a lot of the parts I need, it's now a matter of getting them together. The next big thing is that one of the cast iron mounts has the right angle in it to be level in the frame and the other does not, so I will use some JB putty and fill it in nice and solid. Then I can play at getting the mounting plate I made in there, then get it painted. Another thing that will be a little difficult will be the fuel system. I need to tap and seal the two WWII canteens so they will take the petcocks I have, then I have to make them meet into one line and make sure I get flow to the engine. I may need to add a fuel pump but we'll see. Lastly, I think I'm gonna buy a flex exhaust from jay because I see no options that would be any better for this engine. Parts I still need to order include a leather cruiser saddle, all black tires, a 56 tooth sprocket, a wide pedal crank, and ape hangers. The apes will change the look, but I like the idea of them. I owe my parents $550 so far but have $350 payed back and I am selling much of what I own via the internet and tag sale so I can continue my addiction. I'll get those parts darnit and the build will continue!!! The pics aren't great, but here is where I'm at right now.