Hoot gearbox proper gear indexing help please

GoldenMotor.com

cityrat

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
For my first build, I recently purchased a 4 stroke kit from daemon bikes, which included a hoot gearbox. However I read here http://motorbicycling.com/f48/list-motorized-bicycle-gearboxes-13279-2.html that the gears within these gearboxes are often improperly placed (at least thats what i think indexed means) and as I am of limited mechanical prowess I was wondering if someone could take a look at these pictures and tell me if that is the case with my gearbox and give me (the location of) instructions on how to correct this problem. I can take more pictures if needed or follow instructions on how to determine if the gears are indexed properly.

Thanks in advance
CityRat
P1030143.JPG

P1030140.JPG

P1030139.JPG

P1030138.JPG

cityrat

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Upon a quick further inspection I found that the gears are indeed not meshed together but loosely make contact. If someone could tell me how to correct this or at least point me to disassembly instructions for the hoot gear box it would be greatly appreciated. (sorry for double-posting)

cityrat

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I don't know, I haven't fired it up yet. We got hit with heavy snow so I'm stuck waiting for auto parts stores and the local bike shop to open again so I can get stop smoke and a 1 to 3 bottom bracket converter.

Like I said, it makes contact, just loose contact and it makes a little noise when i rotate it quickly by hand but I know the volume will be exponentially greater with an engine turning it.

I read a post by Egor in the thread mentioned above about realigning gears so that they mesh correctly but I can't understand some of the mechanical jargon.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Yours looks worse than mine. I can tell you this. If you can get the allen screw off the end of the crank, you will be able to take the whole mess off the engine. the case needs to move closer to the engine that will push the gear out and make it mate better. I left the gasket out and just used silicone rubber as a gasket. As for the mesh what I did, I noticed that there is nothing to locate the case to the engine, it is just put on willie nillie, you have to fettle about a bit but you can just snug the two screw's behind the large gear, then with the gear back in place tap on the rear of the case tapping it forward till the gears become meshed proper. Take the large gear off and finish snugging the fasteners up the rest of the way. Replace the outer cover, as the front two screws also hold the back cover to the engine and see what it sounds like then, mine quieted down a lot. That is the indicator that things are running smoother. Good luck. Have fun, Dave