Chainsaw masacre

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The great chainsaw massacre continues..

My gas tanks arrived today. The plastic canteens from ebay. I paid like nine bucks for five. the are shapped like the old ww2 gi canteens. NO cover of course and they are a grade of plastic between a coke bottle and a weed eater gas tank.

They are stiff enough to drill and flexible enough to take the tubing and grip it. I like them a lot. Of course I had to make an insert for the cap so that I could drill a vent without the gas leaking out through it.

Then I spent an hour adjusting the throttle. There is a lot of travel between the tension of the throttle spring and the actual movement of the supply needle past the idle screw. I have it about half right which is close enough for now.

I like it since it pulls better on hills.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I made a post about this bike earlier but it must have fallen through the cracks...

The chainsaw bike runs much better than I expected. I think if I do sell the china bike it is what will replace it unless I build another 31cc that does better. If it did it would be the easier controls. this thing needs adjustment every ride. I hope i did somethings to stop that nonsense. changed the mount a little and the clutch lever for a stronger one. Im not sure I will be able to find a way to make it throw long enough to disengage the engine while still giving the engine enough tension when it is engaged. Right now I am trying to find a compromise that works.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I love cruisers. You can mount your engine on the rear and still have your rear brake and the front brake is a snap to mount. The only downside is the long run of the throttle cable. A spring is needed to supplement the throttle spring and mine is Always needing adjustment it seems.

I have one more cruiser bike sitting around. I have to deal with the demo bike then I might build something on the cruiser. I really do need some more big rear wheels. I have all 20" rear coaster brake wheels. I'm not sure of the condition of those brakes either.

I am picking up the grand daughters bike today. I'm not even sure how large it is. It might be a 24" which would be good. I would love to build on that size frame again. It has a really funky frame but the beauty of this design is that you can stick it on anything.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
The only downside is the long run of the throttle cable. A spring is needed to supplement the throttle spring and mine is Always needing adjustment it seems.
When I was watching the Dave's Farm Video again... His method for attaching/ splicing the throttle cables made me think of electrical wire splices, the automotive style- they come in a big cheap box with a crimping tool? Anyway, I tried one of those, crimped the heck out of it and it works very well, and gives my additional spring a place to rest. I"ll get pictures of it tomorrow, it works really well!

I actually went and bought new cables for once. I suspect there will be a lot of adjustment on these things. They'll stretch a lot I think.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You mean the ones with the alum tube inside the plastic cover. You have a good point there the throttle cable has almost no pressure on it. It should work just fine and save a lot of headaches.

I bet yoiu can even get one big enough so that the cable can be looped back through it to make ties for the end through the throttle lever on the carb.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
That's exactly what I mean- I decided to try them out for the lift system too, crimped down to nothing they hold, even when lifting the engine on the mount! I'll get some pics tonight after work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I used a tip I got from comfortable shoes (remind me to tell a story about that name one day) . The bike had run great only one other time. Since then I changed something and could never get the tension quite right again.

The tip was to shorten the spring and use a turnbuckle to adjust the tension. It works great. I got just the right amount of tension so that the gravity clutch can lift it and the drive wheel is making good contact. The chainsaw engine pulls all the way up the hills instead of slipping. Yet it doesn't bog down from too much tension. It was a buck and a half fix that is a small miracle.

thanks for the tip. I bought two more turn buckles for me other friction drive bikes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
After my frustrating morning with the gifted engine and the mtb, I rode the chainsaw bike with the new tensioner and man that thing hums. I even opened it up wot on the flat for a few minutes. I know it would have just kept gaining cause thats the way friction drive is, but I had enough and it was really nice.

thanks again shoes that turnbuckle made all the difference.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Did i mention at the same time I used the turnbuckle to adjust the tension I also drilled a big hole in the chainsaw muffler. Yes they hear me five blocks away but the bike sure runs sweet now.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I ducked the showers to ride the chainsaw bike today. It is the only friction drive I have working at the moment. It is a beautiful thing to ride a bike that you build yourself.

I worked on the chainsaw and almost scrapped it more than once, but for the last three or four rides it has been excellent. I tell you guys it is all in the tension. That turnbuckle made a world of difference in the pulling power of the bike.

Now I need to run the idle up some then it will be perfect. I am going to wait for a day with no rain so I can test it after I crank the idle up.

Oh yeah it will drag start with the new tension setting and that is a good thing as well.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It's sunday morning and I took the chainsaw bike for it's second big test. I rode it ten miles to the lake and back. Up some really wicked hills I might add. Yes I pedaled about 200 stokes over all those nasty hills. I never had to leave the seat and probably didn't need to pedal at all. Still I did want to keep the speed up a little bit. Probably about ten or twelve miles an hour at the slowest point. Better I'm sure than all but pro bike riders could do.

I did it before the church hours so I only had one heathen try to throw me to the lions. She ran a stop sign and did a left turn even right in front of me. But I watched her drive up to the stop sign and just knew she was going to do it. I had the bike ready for her.

It always pays to watch those side roads. I am looking forward the next two bikes to see how they do in comparison. This 33cc chainsaw is the basis for comparison I think.

By the way the china bike stains on those hills as well and it is 60 odd cc.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Yes before or during Church on a Sunday is the BEST time to ride without fear of getting nailed by some bimbo on a cell phone driving a giant SUV.

If I didn't have some silly family lunch I'd be out riding right now.

Sounds like the chainsaw bike is where it's at. I've been trying to find a cheap chainsaw around here but they are few and far to come by, even on Clist they aren't cheap so I'm stuck with weedeaters.

I cant' wait to see what you do with the ryobi once you get it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now you know I'm going to strip it and defile it lol...

When I get it done, I'm going to test drive it for a while, then I'm going to sell it once I have it right. I am curious to see if it has the guts of the chainsaw.

Norman once told me I should work with engines that have two bearings one front and one rear. The weed whackers mostly have one front bearing. the chain saw has two.

The chain saw did not beat me, but it sure as heck humiliated me. I think the chainsaws might last a little longer but the WW can be switch out easily and costs are reasonable. It the 31 is as strong as the old 31 bolens I used and I can get the mount tied down well this time, it might be just as good.

I'm looking forward to the 42cc now. I figured out how to mount it on the full suspension bike I have so it should be a zinger.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I lowered the front end on this bike the pedals almost touch the ground and do when I lean into a turn. Still it is kinda interesting. I have no idea how long I will keep this configuration.

there should be a photo.. I had two flat tires today riding after the rain. I'm not sure why on the second one the first one wore right through the casing and rubbed the tube with the drive wheel.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I really like the look of that bike. The white tires and the black frame is nice. I think its the best looking ride you've made so far. The real question is how does it ride?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had a choice in the end..., Put it back and have a front brake or leave it small and have no brake in front. I don't weld darn it. I went with put it back. So It was a one day build.