My first boardtracker

GoldenMotor.com

jkuchta

Jul 10, 2009
Los Angeles
Hey all,

Here are a few pics of my first build...

-micargi frame
-copper tank
-cut-down springer fork
-shaped steel seat

Enjoy!

Also....I've made a my own frame for the next one...I'll have some pics in the next week or so.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Beautiful looking bike!! I love the tank and the fuel line too.

You know, in the first pic with the cutout in the clutch cover and the third pic with the clutch arm cover off I though at first you might have bolted the clutch solid and were going for the real clutchless boardtrack effect. Not very practical I know but in keeping with the original concept of the boardtracker anyways. I might consider that myself when I get around to building my first boardtracker.

BTW, how did you conceal the rivets after soldering the tank?

Last edited:

jkuchta

Jul 10, 2009
Los Angeles
Beautiful looking bike!! I love the tank and the fuel line too.

You know, in the first pic with the cutout in the clutch cover and the third pic with the clutch arm cover off I though at first you might have bolted the clutch solid and were going for the real clutchless boardtrack effect. Not very practical I know but in keeping with the original concept of the boardtracker anyways. I might consider that myself when I get around to building my first boardtracker.

BTW, how did you conceal the rivets after soldering the tank?

Thanks for the great comments!

The clutch is actually the stock clutch with the ACME LABS kit applied with their clutch cover.

The rivets are still there, it's just that I applied the black paint to the tank in such a way as to make them and the tank seam a lot less noticable.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Beautiful. I really like the minimalist lines. The copper/black finish has a nice steampunk feel. Is that a Huntington frame? I think they're one of the best 'stock' frames for boardtrack bikes.
What bar-end levers did you use?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Beautiful. I really like the minimalist lines. The copper/black finish has a nice steampunk feel. Is that a Huntington frame? I think they're one of the best 'stock' frames for boardtrack bikes.
I'm pretty sure that isn't a Huntington frame. On a Huntington, the toptube and the downtube meet at a common joint right before joining the headtube. On this one, at the headtube there is a small space between toptube and downtube, they don't actually touch. And a Huntington has a longer wheelbase even than this one. It's one of Micargi's other cruisers, but I couldn't tell you which off hand.

jkuchta

Jul 10, 2009
Los Angeles
Very nice build...and thats your first build? Wow

Hey what part of L.A. as I am in CC and ride all the time.

CCC
My shop is in Fullerton. Once the new bike is done I'll be down for some riding!

Very cool! I was wondering if you can explain a little on the best technique to bend the copper pipes and how you connected it to the carb?
The best way to do it is to use the external bending sleeves (they look like springs) to keep kinking to a minimum. Usually the first bend on a given length of line is really easy...it only gets complicated when you have to go back a rebend a section, which is tough because the line work-hardens. A propane torch kept handy to re-anneal the copper helps a lot. The lines are connected to the carb with a short length of reinforced poly tubing (it's what I had around).

The frame started out as a Micargi Touch. The mods I did to the springer fork allowed me to kick the front wheel out a lot, which makes the bike look a lot longer than it originally was.

vwine

Jan 27, 2010
germany
Holy Shizzle..
Now that is my kinda bike.. Awesome copper work.. I have to learn how to do that.
I am def. saving these pics under my Inspirating bikes folder.. Awesome Build!!!
The seat is wicked.. ITs big, but with the badass look at the same time. coooooooollllllll.flg.