vintage schwinn project

GoldenMotor.com

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Went down to Tucson for Thanksgiving and the local paper had an article about the local karting track which somehow led me to The Death Race. Cool I'll dust off the old whizzer and have me some fun. But wait, whats this,open to any chinese 2 stroke?( guess thier afraid of 60 year old american 4 strokes LOL) So i tell the wife i know what i want for Christmas, Grubbe kit from Spooky Tooth.
Discovered this website one thing leads to another and i'm now in this deal about 4 times what the kit cost.Thanks to Sportscarpat for the tank Jim at Creative for the hub adapter and sprocket.
Wheels are from Husky with a front drum brake.Plans include red powder coating,solid white tires
and a brooks saddle to complete the boarbtrack look.Will post more pics when complete.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Doug,
Wow, very cool! It looks like your well on your way to a nice boardtracker. Nice choice on parts. I really like the wheels and the forks. If you want some boardtack drop brackets for your handlebars let me know. Also, I can't say enough about what an expansion chamber will do for your performance as it really opens up these engines. Oh, and don't forget to deck the head .040" and run the CNS carb. Hey, if your going to a real race let's see you kick some but!

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Thanks Pat took some work to get the drum brake to work with those fork had to move the plates that hold the hub from inside to outside the forks and play with some washers to get the spacing right but thats what makes this stuff fun

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Wow, nice tank. Decals that big sure are a pain. This is great watching you guys customize your bikes with some of my parts on there, too. Makes my whole day! If you pull off the Whizzer engine on your Panther I'm buyin' the beer and shaking your hand. Totally cool. Let Quention do his thing.
Pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks really nice, Doug. You should mount the CDI under the engine down by the bottom bracket. No one will even know it's there. That rear sprocket looks pretty small. What size is it?

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
36 tooth afterall i did build this for a race the tracks pretty flat should work well only took it around the block but it seems pretty fast hit on a good combo with the carb and pipe it runs really well and jims hub adapter and your tensioner run real smooth

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Get some miles on it before the race and port the heck out of the intake and exhaust flanges. I don't think I have anymore intake manifolds left otherwise I would send you one. They add an easy 3 mph. I may have one left with a slightly different than stock bend. I will check it out. I sure want to see you do your best at the race. Decking the head .040" really helps, too.

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
I did open the exhaust and intake don't really want to tear open the motor at this point if you do have an intake i could probably use it i cut a little off of the stock one to get the air cleaner to clear the frame and i'm a little worried about it coming off. the cns car b is to big for the manifold and that plastic bushing they give you doesn't really work. I made a sleave out of 3/4 id 1" od vinyl tubing i think if i put a little weatherstrip adhesive on it i'll be ok. i also have the longer offset intake that came with the carb i might use

Last edited: