My DIY

GoldenMotor.com

mtrapuzz

Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Starting a thread for my build. Starting with a Mongoose mountain bike and will be using a chainsaw engine most likely. That's about it for now. As she stand now.

Attachments

mtrapuzz

Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Started tearing the bike down. Disposed of some unnecessary things like reflectors, kick stand, water bottle holster, the secondary handle bars, and some plastic pieces covering the crank arms. I got ride of the front brakes as well. I did have a question and wanted to see what everyone thought. The bike is a 21 speed, and I was thinking about just having one cog, which would make it a 7 speed. I don't know if I should do this or not.

Last edited:

mtrapuzz

Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Pretty much apart now except for the crank. I believe it's a 3 piece but it was getting dark and so I just stopped, but the arms would not budge off of the spindle. I'm pretty sure it will come apart with some encouragement. It's a mongoose frame. S series. It has an s2000 sticker on it. I tried to google it but i still don't know for sure, so if anyone knows for sure let me know.

Tomorrow I'm gonna sand everything and just spray some primer on it for now.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i hope you make a cool gas tank for it , its getting boring seeing those bike kit gas tanks . i especially don,t find that big lip that runs around the bottom of those tanks verry attractive . chainsaws work good . just keep the cooling cowling on it or you.ll likely burn up the motor pretty quik . post some picks when you get it mounted

mtrapuzz

Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I haven't given much thought to the gas tank. I was thinking of mounting the whole unit with the actual chainsaw gas tank on it. I guess I will have to see if I will need something bigger. I don't know what you mean by the bike kit gas tanks... The ones that have a half circle channel cut out to sit along the frame? Thanks for the thoughts.

mtrapuzz

Aug 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Finished the tear down, and sanded most of the frame with an orbital sander. Going to use a dremel to sand the areas I couldn't get to with the orbital. I am going to cut off the little cable guides all over the frame because I will be making some changes and want to run the cables how I want. I'll just use zip ties. I'm also going to cut off the brake mounts on the fork and frame. I will end up just using a rear brake rotor.

Attachments

Last edited:

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
Finished the tear down, and sanded most of the frame with an orbital sander. Going to use a dremel to sand the areas I couldn't get to with the orbital. I am going to cut off the little cable guides all over the frame because I will be making some changes and want to run the cables how I want. I'll just use zip ties. I'm also going to cut off the brake mounts on the fork and frame. I will end up just using a rear brake rotor.
Gonna weld in the mounts for the motor?