Classic gearbox/clutch

GoldenMotor.com

tag187

May 27, 2009
Houston
I am working on putting together the parts for a boardtrack build and am wanting it to be as close to the real thing as a MB can get. My question is what gearbox/clutch are you guys using, what would be close to period/boardtrack correct? Any thought and ideas are welcome. Also as I am a fabricator and mechanic by trade I am also open to possibly building any ideas you guys have in your heads. This will be my first MB build and I am after a life long head turner (I'm sure you guys understand). Thanks.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Tag, I have had the pleasure of seeing a few real Board track racers up close, and I can tell you what clutch and gearbox the 8-valve Indian, Big Base 61 C.U. Excelsior, and a Harley with the Daytona type frame used.

Are you ready for this? NONE! They were chain-drive, no clutch, no brakes, no throttle control on most of them. Kill switch ONLY, started by pulling with a rope by another motorcycle or a car. The Harley I saw is raced frequently so they made a gas-engine powered starter, which rubs a go-kart type wheel up against the rear tire and then the rider jumps it off.

On my latest bike, built to ride on the streets of America, I used an EZ Motorbike Kit which works nicely on my 2 test bikes.

Mike

Attachments

tag187

May 27, 2009
Houston
Thats what I thought just from seeing the 1 board tracker I have ever seen, it also had nothing just motor to chain, I have a 4 cycle motor putting out around 4.5 hp, could I run a straight chain drive (no clutch, sproket to sproket) what problems could arise with this?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Thats what I thought just from seeing the 1 board tracker I have ever seen, it also had nothing just motor to chain, I have a 4 cycle motor putting out around 4.5 hp, could I run a straight chain drive (no clutch, sproket to sproket) what problems could arise with this?
With that setup, it would be very dangerous. You would have to be pull started, not the pull starter, but pulled by another vehicle. If you tried to use a pull starter, you would have to start with the rear wheel in the air...and then when it started, the wheeel would always be spinning. When you tried to stop....if you could stop against the engine power trying to push you forward, the engine would die every time, and then you would need to be pull started again.

...but if authenticity is the goal, it comes with authentic risk, and remember board trackers did not- and could not operate on the street with other trafiic.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Want to see real board track racing? This video is 10.32 min. long. The only film of board track racing known. Take a good look at the track they are racing on. Shows them being towed to start.

I googled-1920 Indian board track racing video. It's the first one on the list.

Steve.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
can you think of what it must of been like to dump a bike on a board track?! Splinters come to mind not to mention the board rash! That had to hurt. Mike you have a very nice looking bike there too. Where do you get the colored tires like that I was just wondering I have no plans of getting them myself they are cool you've had white on some I think.
Hey I'm coming to LA this week PM me you phone # and I'll see if I can't get up with you or meet at say Venice beach I hope to get up with Venice boy there and anyone else might have some fun we could meet at that bar on the north end that sells the hour glass shaped beer I can;t remember the name of the place or the type of beer I don't care even if I have one(beer) its just a place that is close to the parking on the beach and easy for me to find. I don't know my way around but the Kid does so if we have the time and I can get him out of bed before noon I might bet to meet some of you guys! To me that would be very cool getting to meet the people I chat with on this forum. Say June 9th at the beach? I'm an old hippy looking fool. Long white hair. unless it all falls out fefore then.
Norman