Briggs 80202 ?

GoldenMotor.com

NINETOE

Mar 12, 2015
MN
I have a 3 hp briggs that I want to use on a build but the fuel tank is shot so Id like to put a different carb on it and run a remote tank . The current carb is a flow jet and syphons the fuel from the tank . Im guessing I need an intake between the motor and the carb ? Any suggestions on an intake and carb that wont break the bank ? The model #s are all thats left as the gas tank rubbed the others away.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The stock NT carb and aftermarket offset intake manifold from a bicycle engine kit will work. Simply drill out the manifold mounting hole a little bit to fit the Briggs intake, and it's good to go!
The NT carb works great on a briggs! (this one is a tecumseh, but you get the idea)

The carbs are available for about $12-15 and the intake under $10. MUCH cheaper than a replacement Briggs carb and works better too! (Better throttle response)

Last edited:

NINETOE

Mar 12, 2015
MN
I found them on thats dax . Is there a certain syle of throttle that I need for the NT ? Or just order by length ? Im not familiar with the internal thrttle hook up ?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The NT carb cable fits all throttles I have seen so far...they have a normal throttle cable end for just about any twist throttle to work fine.
Length depends on your use.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hey if you have other interesting things that you find messing with that 80202 Briggs, I would be interested to hear about. I have mine on an old steel frame JC Penny Foremost 26 inch frame and do off roading on trails and fire roads with my DMV OHV Reg in CA.

Mendicino National Forest Trail Riding video link post 10
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=54926

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The stock NT carb and aftermarket offset intake manifold from a bicycle engine kit will work. Simply drill out the manifold mounting hole a little bit to fit the Briggs intake, and it's good to go!
The NT carb works great on a briggs! (this one is a tecumseh, but you get the idea)

The carbs are available for about $12-15 and the intake under $10. MUCH cheaper than a replacement Briggs carb and works better too! (Better throttle response)
Tecumseh....???

Thats a Briggs on that mini bike there brother maniac.

Im gonna have to give that setup a try myself, I have a couple gokarts with 5 hp briggs engines and I have a small pile of NT carbs, might even try a NT Speed since it has a slightl6 larger throat.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
is that an old H50 or HS50?

When i was a kid I had a gokart that had the HS50 Tecumseh, we bypassed the governor and that kart would hit 40mph in no time, all the other kids around running the briggs hated mine because no matter how many mods their dads did to theirs they couldn't out run my old Tecumseh, I still have that engine and it was the first engine I ever completely did and overhaul on with my Grandpaw (Pap) when I was just 12 years old, Id like to get it running again some day but I need a crank and a new con rod for it.

Them old Tecumseh engines could be a pain in the backside sometime but when they ran right they had was more power than the briggs.

NINETOE

Mar 12, 2015
MN
The gov is off this 3 horse already. I plan on removing the fly wheel fins and leave it uncovered for the old school look . Put the NT on it last night and a little gas and she fired on the first pull ..

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The gov is off this 3 horse already. I plan on removing the fly wheel fins and leave it uncovered for the old school look . Put the NT on it last night and a little gas and she fired on the first pull ..
excellent......

I have an old 3.5hp Briggs thats on a John Deere epush type edger, I believe the engine is still in excellent condition and 8 have had plans the use it for a 4 stroke bike build, Im gonna have to give the little NT carb a try on that engine when I have the time.

I also have two of the 79cc HF engines Im thinking a custom intake and the the NT carb might do good on.

NINETOE

Mar 12, 2015
MN
I bought the short intake and it is too close to the exhaust , so Ill order the 4 inch which will give me room to do custom exhaust.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Mine is the HS40 Map. I got super lucky and scored it for respoking a trike rim.
This engine is literally BRAND NEW. Less than 10-15 minutes run time from the look of the top end. Tiny bit of carbon by exhaust valve but otherwise spotless inside. Clean oil and all.
And I agree about the Tecumseh being slightly more powerful than the same size Briggs.
Main thing I hated was those lousy float carbs. PITA to tune and basically a hole in a pipe stuck in a tin can.
We used to use the Honda xr75 carbs to great effect on our carts/minibikes but the NT is a whole lot cheaper and works just about as well. Jetting seems pretty close too.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Mine is the HS40 Map. I got super lucky and scored it for respoking a trike rim.
This engine is literally BRAND NEW. Less than 10-15 minutes run time from the look of the top end. Tiny bit of carbon by exhaust valve but otherwise spotless inside. Clean oil and all.
And I agree about the Tecumseh being slightly more powerful than the same size Briggs.
Main thing I hated was those lousy float carbs. PITA to tune and basically a hole in a pipe stuck in a tin can.
We used to use the Honda xr75 carbs to great effect on our carts/minibikes but the NT is a whole lot cheaper and works just about as well. Jetting seems pretty close too.
yep, briggs always had Tecumseh beat when it came to carbs, but hhe briggs mare long stroke small bore and the Tecumseh are shorter stroke larger bore and would always wind up much better than the briggs as long as you made sure the rod cap was properly torqued.

Ive seen many Tecumseh engines break a rod because the rod cap came loose, I used to make a steel bolt retainer strap for rod bolts just like briggs was wise enough to use on some of their engines.

That HS40, should give you great performance and service for a long time, excellent deal you made for it for sure.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This is interesting,just wondering if this is the problum with all the Tecumesh engines that have tossed a rod. A lot of snow blowers and the like have done it...............Curt

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I remember my go kart when I was a kid it had the 5hp Tecumseh and a Comet Torq a verter on it, I took out the governor after my cousin showed me how and the carb had that high speed adjustment screw at the bottom of the bowl that was basically a needle screw that partially blocked the fuel flow thru the main jet.
I remember we took it out to a big drainage ditch shortly after we got it and were taking turns riding it when I noticed it just didn't have that "get up and go" that I felt on earlier rides, my cousin then pointed out the governor and told me about how to disable it or at least adjust it for more rpm so we did that, still a bit sluggish, but we rode it for about an hour or so, loaded it up in my dad's truck and brought it home.
I read the owner's manual to see if it had that troubleshooting section and sure enough, there was a symptom listed for being slow but it only talked about the throttle cable adjustment, but the manual for the engine showed the high speed screw... I tried it and noticed right aaway it was as fast as that first ride, then I screwed it in until it slowed down then retruned it back to it's quickest setting.

This thing would hit 45 in no time flat and beat everyone else's go karts except for another friend's racing kart with the KT100 engine in it... in which case it lost badly, but that's a totally different animal.

Once I got the carb tuned tho then basically set the governor so it wasn't closing the throttle at all I was out riding around and my mom took the car to where I said I would be to tell me to go home for dinner, I lead the way and she followed, then when we got home she asked if I knew how fast I was going and I replied "um... about 45 I guess" and she told me she was doing 60 behind me. I found that pretty easy to beleive since the cart had those 18" tall back tirres and that CVT also made it fly as well as having better acceleration than the other guys who just had the typical centrifugal clutches.

I kept that kart until I was about 18 years old but broke the rod after removing the governor completely and "borrowing" my dad's Honda Twinstar 185's carb.. it bolted right on and it was jetted just right, I remember the kart was quicker than it ever was going up the hill to get around the block, but when I was on the next street that was nice and flat I remember that thing must have been doing about 70 and BOOM!! then it slowly coasted down to a stop. I got off to try to re start it but when I pulled the rope I knew it was game over... it pulled real easy about half a turn then stopped dead. I pulled the torque converter cover off and turned the crank by hand and it was clear to me that something wasn't right so I pushed it home, took off the side case cover and sure enough, it snapped the rod right at the base, it was still bolted to the crank, but the beam snapped in half.

This of course was back in the mid 80's and with no internet I had to get another stock rod from a small engine shop. I remember asking the guy if they made a stronger rod for the engine and he simply told me there was no such thing. If I could have got a billet rod for that thing back then that engine would have been really awesome. I remember it also beat another friend's kart that was the same model but had the 8hp Tecumseh engine, his would take me off the line and accelerate better but it was no match for mine's top speed and he was always puzzled why he couldn't beat me with the stronger engine.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is interesting,just wondering if this is the problum with all the Tecumesh engines that have tossed a rod. A lot of snow blowers and the like have done it...............Curt
Yep the rods were the weak link with the high winding Tecumseh engines, the main issue normally was that the rod bolts would work loose since the rod cap didn;t interlock like they did on the Briggs engines and also Briggs used a steel retainer band that had tabs that were bent up against the flat area of the rod bolt head, this prevented then from backing off.

I actually made some of those retainers for some Tecumseh engines and they worked great, but with a gov. removed those HS50 engine would rev plum out of themselves and snap a rod if you let them turn to high for to long, but they were little war horses, make a stock or even slightly modified Briggs 5hp look like a weed wacker engine on a go kart in comparison, the Tecumseh 10hp was also a wicked little power plant and was a much desired engine for racing Kart for many years, if these engine would have had an ARC Billet rod in them back in the day, the power and revs one could have got out of them would have been crazy..

There is a fella up in North Texas that actually headed up Tecumseh Racing program back in the day, i talked to him several times and ordered a few parts from him, he said hat they got over 24HP out of the little Tecumseh HS50 engines at crazy RPM's even the newer HH60 Tecumseh engines will make the Honda GX200 and the clones like a Predator look weak when set up right, just cant get parts anymore since Tecumseh went belly up...

We can thank the Chinese for that failure and Briggs will likely be next, they're already relabeling the honda clone under the Briggs name i've noticed.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
We ran a Tecumseh Star for several years in the unlimited class. Came with a billet rod. Produced prodigious HP on nitro/methanol. The only short coming was the bore wore pretty quickly sending us on search and rescues missions for stock engines. Loved that old motor. The only thing that would give it a fit were a few boys from another state that were running after market "5hp" Briggs style blocks that used a 4" Chevy piston, may have been JR dragster blocks. Those were awesome motors. Fortunately they didn't show often.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
We ran a Tecumseh Star for several years in the unlimited class. Came with a billet rod. Produced prodigious HP on nitro/methanol. The only short coming was the bore wore pretty quickly sending us on search and rescues missions for stock engines. Loved that old motor. The only thing that would give it a fit were a few boys from another state that were running after market "5hp" Briggs style blocks that used a 4" Chevy piston, may have been JR dragster blocks. Those were awesome motors. Fortunately they didn't show often.
Yep that "Star" engine was a hoss.....

Those briggs based after market engines are stout, watched many of them pushing those JR Dragsters down the strip at over 80mph in an 1/8 mile