Rear Derailleur for MT Motorized Bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I looked for many days now and searched this site and many others and still cannot resolve my issue. My question is that I am trying to find a good rear Rear Derailleur for my bike with the SBP shift kit.

I have heard a lot use the tourney one but when i look online it is only for regular riding and not really for to much off road riding. Is this one chosen cause it is cheap to replace when it gets torn up? Is there a stronger one that wrks better but not 100+ bucks?

I relize that none of these have really been designed for a ht motor to be run thru it but anybody have any suggestions or experience with a good Rear Derailleur?

Any and all suggestions,advice is greatly appreciated I wouldn't be asking if I did not need the help?

PS I guess I should add the one I have currently is fine and working for now it is a Shimano A 8SIS. I have a Gt Lts5 with shift kit and kmc z 410 chain with a GT-4 skyhawk motor.

Thanks,
ToxicAZ

dnut

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: Rear Derailleur for MT MB?

Good question Toxic... sorry I can't be of much help as I'm wondering the same meself for my build lol

I'll be lurkin' this'un fosho tho, thx for bringing it up ;)

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

your welcome I have been wondering for a while, have searched here and google for the last 3 days and nothing of big help was found.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Not that it answers the question & might even raise more... but frm what I've seen on the forum, seems what few problems have been reported haven't been w/the derailleur itself but with the cassette - there was some mention of the teeth bending a bit...

Was quite a while ago tho and I've not heard similar since *shrug* coulda been some ubercheap cassette and/or srs abuse like "speedshifting" (not backing off throttle while shifting)...

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

I havent had that problem yet but I am still learning how to shift smooth and breaking in the motor no speed shift here yet. Just finding and teaching muscle memory to let off just enough and right time with the shift for a flawless shift.

I just want a derailler that will go off road and hold up if it needs to be shifted hard or unexpectedly for those times (when a smooth shift can't be done), but is strong and durable/reliable for the daily commute to work or store.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

Tourney is entry level for Shimano.
A quick comparison of Shimano components from top to bottom:
shimano.png

Better derailleurs are machined and with screw assembly inside instead of pins for ease of complete disassembly and servicing, something important when running power through it. Ebay is full of components and sometimes higher end parts can be had used in decent shape. Of course, there are other brands too.

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA

When it comes to Shimanos Rear Derailleurs the Less expensive ones shift just as well as the High End ones in My opinion. What you get by spending more money is they are Lighter and you will be more likely to find replacement parts for the More Expensive ones than the Less Expensive ones. The difference between the a Road vs Off Road Derailleur is usually the length of the cage. Longer cages wrap up more chain and there fore can handle a broader range of rear cassette cogs or front chainrings. About the time Shimano came out with Eight Speed rear cassettes they switched to a lighter spring in there rear derailleurs. I've found that The older derailleurs with the stronger springs seem to work better for me on My 4-stroke shift kit bike. Also in the Late 90's early 2000's Shimano switched the spring action of their rear derailleurs. Older ones the spring action is used to make the shifts coming down the cog stack. Newer ones the direction is reversed and spring action pulls the derailleur up the cog stack. The Term for this Newer Derailleur is Rapid Rise. Again in my opinion the older set up seems to work better for me on my shift kit bike.

ocscully

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co

a reg road derailer may not be enough to really hold up...i freeride alot and used to use road derailers for their size....your gonna be better off with a sram derailleur something in a x-7 or higher with a medium length cage.....but your going to need to match all the sram stuff together...shifter cassete and derailler.....shimano is great and all but i trust the sram stuff alot more...spent 6 yrs racing mtbs with both...ran nothing but sram after the first 2 seasons....i break chains and kill cassetes on a reg bassis from racing since i was 9 lol...granted a human body dosent put out the hp of a gas motor..... but they lasted longer for me

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

Thanks for the help so far guys keep them coming. I do have an older one on there now. And thanks for the guide that was posted that helps out greatly. I have a full suspesion 2000 stumpjumper fsr that I would never turn into a mb and it has xtr stuff on it I love that bike never had problems.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I looked for many days now and searched this site and many others and still cannot resolve my issue. My question is that I am trying to find a good rear Rear Derailleur for my bike with the SBP shift kit.

I have heard a lot use the tourney one but when i look online it is only for regular riding and not really for to much off road riding. Is this one chosen cause it is cheap to replace when it gets torn up? Is there a stronger one that wrks better but not 100+ bucks?

I relize that none of these have really been designed for a ht motor to be run thru it but anybody have any suggestions or experience with a good Rear Derailleur?

Any and all suggestions,advice is greatly appreciated I wouldn't be asking if I did not need the help?

PS I guess I should add the one I have currently is fine and working for now it is a Shimano A 8SIS. I have a Gt Lts5 with shift kit and kmc z 410 chain with a GT-4 skyhawk motor.

Thanks,
ToxicAZ

dnut
Use what you have.

I bought a new Shimano Deore derailleur because the PO installed the wrong adjusting screw on the original one. I think it cost about $50.

I would've used the original one if it wasn't damaged.

Same with the rear cassette. It's a quality unit, but didn't cost much either.

I try to inspect and clean them at day's end.

I run a 2.8 hp Tanaka 47R racing engine w/three-piece pipe. Before that, I ran a 4.2 hp GP460 engine with expansion pipe. I was powershifting through the gears for a year until last month. Now I fast-shift with throttle released.xct2

Surprisingly, no abnormal wear and tear on derailleur, cassette or on the entire drivetrain.dance1

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

I will stick with the one that came with my bike for now. I still am working out the kinks with the shift kit got them all out now I think. I just wanted to know what is good adn what people are running that has been good to them.

I would like to get a mega range rear freewheel and and would have to get a mega range derailleur to match. Won't be untill I tear up what I have but I like to be prepared and know a head of time.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA

I will stick with the one that came with my bike for now. I still am working out the kinks with the shift kit got them all out now I think. I just wanted to know what is good adn what people are running that has been good to them.

I would like to get a mega range rear freewheel and and would have to get a mega range derailleur to match. Won't be untill I tear up what I have but I like to be prepared and know a head of time.
Your current derailleur will handle a Mega Range Cassette or Freewheel. I'm running an older Shimano LX with a MegaRange Cassette. Have about 6000 miles on the Cassette and Derailleur and its still going strong.

ocscully

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

So far the stock derailer is holding up good. But it will not fit a maga range freewheel cuse i have a rim with one one there but the bottom roller gear will touch the big low gear if i try to use it.

I wish the springs were a little tougher cause the chain jumped off once offroad but that could be do to the super roughness off the trail that i was on. still looking for and upgrade so i can run a mega range to make gearing perfect for my off road adventures cause right now i have to pedal assist a little bit up big hills.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA

i used a crappy old derailleur off a walmart bike and it held up fine.. but i bought a new shimano deore for $50 because i went to 8 speed setup and the other one i was running could not shift to my 32 tooth 1st gear.. i dont think your derailleur come off if its tuned right and you keep it that way..

if the one your using now is working you should be good. but having a nice backup is never a bad idea.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

Cool thanks guys for the responses so far keep thm coming so we can have all the ones tried that have failed or done good.

So far my is holding up good still even after taking it on some ruff trails. the only issue I have had is the spring being weak and some chain hop but not bad enough to skip gears. The chain did hop enough to come off once though.

I do wanna thank everyone so far that has commented. Since I started this thread I got enough confidence in the one I have to shift it a little harder and trust it more and it has held up.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan

So far the stock derailer is holding up good. But it will not fit a maga range freewheel cuse i have a rim with one one there but the bottom roller gear will touch the big low gear if i try to use it.

I wish the springs were a little tougher cause the chain jumped off once offroad but that could be do to the super roughness off the trail that i was on. still looking for and upgrade so i can run a mega range to make gearing perfect for my off road adventures cause right now i have to pedal assist a little bit up big hills.
You should have a small screw that will adjust th roller wheel up or down. Then it will not hit the sprocket on the megarange.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

You should have a small screw that will adjust th roller wheel up or down. Then it will not hit the sprocket on the megarange.
Yes, it's the screw on the back of the pivot on the derailleur and it seats on the drop-out hanger.....an easy adjustment.

It's the little screw in the center of these pics.....turn it clockwise to get clearance between the Mega-Range (34tooth) cog and the D-rail cog.

dnut

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

oh i see thanks for the info it will come in handy when i get a new d-rail. i forgot to mention that the reason it will not fit on the mega range that i have is cause it is a 8 speed hub and my shifter only has 7 speeds. so is soon as I get a different shifter I can use it. My d-rail is already compatible for 8 speeds just need the shifter.

I really want to keep the 7 speed shifter I have cause it is a rapid fire thats mounted upside down and it fits and All i have to do is pull the lever with my index to shift it.